3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 7:37 AM by ninja

Conditional access using field level privileges

Frinholp

Title

Conditional access using field level privileges

I have been using go to next field on object enter to prevent access to a field if a condition is not met. This will not work for pop-up menus and anyhow, I have decided to use a more secure method by using privileges to lock a field. I know how to prevent access to fields, records, layouts etc. But how do I achieve this conditionally?

Thanks in advance

Lee 

• 1. Re: Conditional access using field level privileges
          ninja

Howdy Frinhop,

Record Level and Layout Privileges are pretty well documented in the help screens.

Go To File>Manage>Account&Privileges, create a new Privilege Set and choose Custom Privileges for records, layouts, scripts, etc.

For each, you'll have options for limiting access to View, Modify, etc.  For records, choose "limited..." and a calculation window will come up for you to define the condition to be met.

Field Level Access by condition is not an available option (more's the pity) but you can work around this by separating your 'restricted' fields to a related table and conditionally limiting access to that second table's records.  The field is on a record...if you can't touch the record, you can't touch the field.

Is this what you're after?

• 2. Re: Conditional access using field level privileges
            Frinholp

Thanks Ninja

This is exactly what I want to do. I'm sure the Filmmaker developers could have built-in this option; maybe they are hiding this function away for the next release (as I feel they do for many other omitted functions that I'm sure would be quite easy to implement) to get us to fork out for the upgrade. Or am I just being cynical?

• 3. Re: Conditional access using field level privileges
              ninja

Can't answer you on the cynical part...

I've mentioned this desire (FLA) to FMP folks multiple times, but I'm one voice.  Feel free to mention it to them yourself (with detail about why {specifically} you want it) and hopefully it'll show up sometime in the future.

Til then, there's a (workaround/technique/established method/patch/proper way) to do it.  Take you pick on terminology. ;)