2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 9:13 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional and Dwindling Value Lists...

symbister

Title

Conditional and Dwindling Value Lists...

Hi

I realise that this is an old chestnut but couldn't find a relative thread..

I have a number of artists, who have produced a number of artworks, often more than one each. I'm selling them through an invoice / lineitems schema, so that once an artist is selected, only their artworks are displayed (CVL - works well, thanks Phil), but now I also want to exclude those that have been sold (DVL - not so happy) 

set up a Global number field on the main table, with a relationship to the Artworks sales status at the same time as the conditional check and Value List for the 'Unsolds' - but not doing it - am I on the right track?

thanks in advance

Screen_shot_2013-04-06_at_3.44.24_PM.png

• 1. Re: Conditional and Dwindling Value Lists...
          JimMac

Hmmmm? Seems like you are using Conditional Lists for Inventory control.  I am commenting so I can follow Phil's responses.angel

But...devil

I would add a boolean type field as "SOLD" to reduce the first Condition.

Jim...

PS: Drop down lists are over used, in my humble opinion. Portals in FMP11+ are much more powerful.

• 2. Re: Conditional and Dwindling Value Lists...
            philmodjunk

Dwindling Value Lists are conditional value lists. They just include additional details in the relationship so that, as Jim mentioned, changes in a field can then omit that record's value from the value list. If you had a text field that stored the value "Sold" when it is sold, you might change the relationship used for your CVL to be:

//keep your original match fields here
                 AND ParentTable::constSOlD ≠ ValueTable::Status

ConstSOLD would be a calculation field that returns the text "SOLD". And you don't actually have to use the text "SOLD". A number field can be set to 1 to mark the status and then you can use a calculation field, constOne to match to it.