5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional background color field will not print

jebber6685

Title

Conditional background color field will not print

I created a field called "background color" that is conditional. So if a company is a current customer, this field will be solid green. I placed this field behind several other fields so that the entire row is green ( or other color depending on condition ). On the screen, everything is perfect with the color, but when I print to printer or to PDF the this "Background color" field does not print. In otherwords, the background is green on the screen just like I want it but it does not print to printer or PDF like is shown on screen. I also made sure that the color field is not touching any border that may prevent it from printing. I even experimented with reducing its size to check to see if that was a problem. No change. Can someone help?

<!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->

• 1. Re: Conditional background color field will not print
          philmodjunk

There's a setting you can select for a layout object that keeps it from being printed. It's called Hide When Printing on the Position tab of the Inspector in filemaker 11. It's a differently labeled checkbox in sliding printing on earlier versions. Any chance that option was selected for this field?

• 2. Re: Conditional background color field will not print
            jebber6685

Philmodjunk,

Thanks for the reply. That was my thought. I checked this first thing. The "do not print the selected objects" is not checked.

• 3. Re: Conditional background color field will not print
              philmodjunk

What version of filemaker are you using?

Do you see this color in preview mode? (I'd expect that you don't).

Can you post the conditional format expressions (or calculation if this a calculation field) that you use to select the color? (I don't see why that'd be a factor, but you never know...)

If you use the field tool to place this field on a brand new layout, will it preview/print/pdf in color?

• 4. Re: Conditional background color field will not print
                jebber6685

FM Pro 10.0 v 3

You are correct. I do not see it in Preview Mode.

Formula is "Cleveland Accounts::Top 30 IDAM Target Acct Type = "Existing Cust with 50% + Mkt Share"" this is green

I did what you suggested. I created a new, blank layout, dragged the field tool to create a field, selected "background color" field, setup the condition by copying from the other layout, and then checked in preview mode. The screen shows the field as green but it does not show up in Preview mode.

• 5. Re: Conditional background color field will not print
                  philmodjunk

Not sure what the issue is at this point.

The preview mode suggests that the issue lies with filemaker instead of your printer--though I'd check my printer settings  to make sure something like "black and white mode" isn't selected. Selecting such options don't affect preview on my system, but your mileage may very...

Nothing in your conditional format expression would evaluate differently due to the change in mode from browse to print/preview. I honestly didn't expect to see such an issue, but wanted to rule it out.

Putting a brand new copy of the field on a brand new layout tests to see if any layout corruption might be a factor and apparently that's not the case. I suppose you could test a recovered copy of the file just to be sure.

Do you have other objects with colors other than black or white that prints/previews in color as you would expect?

Anybody else got any ideas here?