12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 2:00 PM by Matty_1

Conditional Data Validation

Matty_1

Title

Conditional Data Validation

Hello,

I have a table where we enter all our parts and service item numbers to have them automatically populate our maintenance summary reports.  My colleague is asking if I could have data validation to make sure she doesn't enter information twice.  The issue is that often two vendors will have the same part number so I'm looking at putting in a "conditional" data validation and can't seem to make it work.

Is it possible to have the "unique value" check box checked but have a condition that it only kicks in when the Vendor ID Match Field is the same as another record in the same table?  Otherwise allowing duplicates when the part number is the same as another record but has a different vendor assigned to it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Conditional Data Validation
          philmodjunk

Add a text field to your report table. Give it an auto-entered calculation that combines the part and vendor ID's in a calculation such as:

PartID & " " & VendorID

Put your unique values validation on this new text field.

• 2. Re: Conditional Data Validation
            Matty_1

of course, very cool.  Thank you Phil!

• 3. Re: Conditional Data Validation
              Matty_1

“Part Number Validation” is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout. Use another layout to assign a value to this field.

This message kicks in only when I attempt to leave the record and not immediately after entering a duplicate value.  Is this the only way to about this?  Also, I don't fully understand what this message is referring to.

• 4. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                philmodjunk

"Part Number Validation" is the name of the newly added text field, correct?

What exact options on the Validation tab did you select?

Oh yes, be sure to clear the "do not replace existing values.." check box on this calculation.

I would have expected a different validation error message if just the Unique Values check box were selected on this field.

This message kicks in only when I attempt to leave the record and not immediately after entering a duplicate value.

This validation option (Unique values) cannot be performed until the record is committed. "Leaving the record" is one way to commit the record. Clicking a blank area on your layout is another. You can also use a script trigger to force a commit records sooner (such as just after the second of the two fields (part number and vendor) gets a value.

Or you can leave this test in place and add an OnObjectValidate script trigger to check for duplicate values sooner in the data entry process. You can set this trigger on both fields and use a self join relationship to check for the existance of a duplicate. The script trigger is tripped before the record is committed, so you can identify the presence of a duplicate, use a custom dialog to tell the user about the error and use Exit Script [False] to return the user to the data entry screen with the record still uncommitted so that they can fix the error and try again.

• 5. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                  Matty_1

Here's what I did, let me know if these's a more efficient way of doing this.

I created a relationship to itself when the Vendor Id and Part Numbers match and created a summary field (Duplicate CHECK) that counts any records in that relationship. I also put the following script tirgger in OnObjectValidate.

Commit Record/Requests [Skip data entry validation; No dialog]

Loop

If [Products DuplicateCHECK::Duplicate CHECK > 1]

Show Custom Dialog [CUSTOM DIALOG HERE]

Set Selection [Product::PartNumber]

Exit Script [Result: False]

End If

Exit Loop If [Products DuplicateCHECK::Duplicate CHECK ≤ 1]

End Loop

• 6. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                    Matty_1

Ok for some reason I thought that was working and it certainly wasn't.  Not sure where I was at with those loops.  I've changed the script trigger to OnObjectExit and did the following:

Commit Record/Requests [Skip data entry validation; No dialog]

If [Products DuplicateCHECK::Duplicate CHECK > 1]

End If

Go to Next Field

I added the Go to Next Field to maintain tabbing order and functionality.

• 7. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                      philmodjunk

You can leave out go to next field. The action that triggers the OnObjectValidate will be processed automatically unless Exist Script [False] is used to cancel it.

I suggest:

If [Not isEmpty ( Products DuplicateCHECK::AnyNeverEmptyField ) ]

End If

This will not require committing the record--which gives the user the option to revert the record if they wish.

• 8. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                        Matty_1

But with the above example, wouln't the relationship forever remain blank until the commit record line is in place?

• 9. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                          philmodjunk

Good point. (What was I thinking?")

I'm now remembering how I've done this previously:

Set Error Capture [on]
                               Commit Records []
                               If [ Get ( LastError ) // a validation error was tripped ]
                                  Show Custom Dialog["message goes here"]
                                  Exit Script [False]
                               End If

• 10. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                            Matty_1

Sorry with the kick backs but this would require a valiation to be ticked and my problem is I need a two tiered validation.  Unique values but only for the individual vendor in question.

The above would not suffice correct?

• 11. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                              philmodjunk

Yes it would if you use the validation method that I previously specified for the text field that combines the two values.

• 12. Re: Conditional Data Validation
                                Matty_1

Ok thank you Phil