6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 4:01 PM by JasonColbert

Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)

JasonColbert

Title

Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)

Problem: I have an item receipt that pulls info from an "Accountable Equipment" table. I have it filtering the "Product ID" shown based on the "Issued to" field (via a portal) using relationships. I assign individual equipment to people in the "Accountable Equipment" Table.

HERE is the problem; when I click on the "product ID" field in my portal, nothing shows up. But if I enter a value (even just a space) and click out of the field, when I click back into it, THEN the filtered values show up. How do I make it so that the filtered values show up immidiately?

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
          philmodjunk

Entering that space creates a new record and then the relationship on which your conditional value list is based works. If you select the layout's table occurrence in the "include only related values starting from" drop down instead of the portal, you shouldn't have this complication.

• 2. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
            JasonColbert

It's a modified version of the "Invoice" starter solution, so the portal comes from that. The only other way I was thinking that this may work is to make it so when I click into an empty "Product ID" field, it auto-creates a new record. Is that a valid option? And if so, how do I tell it to do that?

• 3. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
              philmodjunk

I don't at this time see why you would need to do that. Simply modifying this one option in the set up for the conditional value list should suffice to eliminate this problem.

But You haven't really described your conditional value list and what field or field values "filter" the values shown in the list so I may just not have all the needed information.

• 4. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
                JasonColbert

oh.... sorry, I'm still kind of new at this.

The filter trigger/condition is the "Issued To" field. When we select who the hand reciept will be issued to, the "Product ID" field should be filtered to only show the Product ID's that have that person associated/assigned to it.

(e.g. If there are 500 pieces of equipment in the "Accountable Equipment" table, and Product ID#'s 1, 3, 7, 23, 34, and 432 have been assigned to Mr. X, when we build the hand reciept and pick "Mr. X" in the "Assigned To" field, the "Product ID" drop down should only show the 6 items assigned to Mr. X.)

I have the "Accountable Equipment", "Line Item", and "Hand Reciept" tables all related via the "Assigned To" fields.  The "Prodcut ID" field is already set to "include only related valude from: Line Items" in the value list. This does cause the values to be filtered and show only the assiciated entries, but ONLY after it creates a new record, as you stated earlier. I don't know how to make it show them without having to first create a new record like that.

If I change the value list to "Include all values", it shows them all when you click into the field, so I know that it SHOULD be possible to make it do the same thing via the "include only related values starting from" option.

• 5. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
                  philmodjunk

What I read here continues to support my suggestion that you need only open up manage | Value lists for this conditional value list and select the layout's table occurrence for the "starting from" designation instead of the portal's.

• 6. Re: Conditional Drop Down list (finishing touches)
                    JasonColbert

It took some looking to see what you were talking about, but I got it working using what you said! Thank you, sir!!!