1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 10:19 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"

ChandraSrinivasan

Title

Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"

I have attempted to create conditional drop down list based on the suggestions from forums: by creating multiple table occurrences, self-join. There are 'DIAGNOSIS' under 'PHYLUM'. So I would like to restrict 'ITEMS' in value list based on 'CATEGORY'. Please note, the 'ITEMS' are rather lengthy texts (don't know if this has any bearing on my issue!). It all seems to be working fine, but for one problems. It appears that, when I select a 'CATEGORY', not all 'ITEMS' are being pulled under it.

Here are some examples of each field:

PHYLUM: 

Arrhythmia - Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)

Arrhythmia - Ventricular

DIAGNOSIS

Arrhythmia, Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), Atrioventricular reciprocating (Accessory connection-mediated tachycardia), Manifest accessory connection (WPW), Left free wall

Arrhythmia, Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), Atrioventricular reciprocating (Accessory connection-mediated tachycardia), Manifest accessory connection (WPW), Left free wall, Posterior

Arrhythmia, Ventricular, Idioventricular

Arrhythmia, Ventricular, Prolonged QT (Long QT interval) ...............

What gets picked under related values seems pretty random. I have tried removing commas, cutting short characters etc. I don't get consistent results.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
          philmodjunk

To help you, we need to see your relationship, the details your selected in Manage | Value Lists after you clicked the "use values from a field" option and exactly what part of the data shown in your example represents a single "Item". Is the text below "Diagnosis" an example of one item, 4 items or an "item" something else?

• 2. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
            ChandraSrinivasan

I have attached a snapshot of the relationships. From further reading after I posted the above question, I came across something which said about a "limit to the depth of indexing in the value list". Is that true? In that case, I think it would make sense for me. I found that some of the related values show up and other "long texts" don't show up. When I cut short some of the text values, it started showing up in the drop down value list.

• 3. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
              philmodjunk

On which of the above is your layout based? In which do you store the values for your value list?

What field serves as the "category field" for your conditional value list?

What data in your original example serves as that "category"?

• 4. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                ChandraSrinivasan

Layout is based on "tbl_EP_Diagnosis". Values for the value list is stored in "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list". Please note some values for "Diagnosis_list" in "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list"  are quite long. Once I edit them to being shorter, they start appearing under related values.

I am sorry, I created some confusion with my initial post. I meant to use "EP_Diagnosis_phylum" instead of 'CATEGORY' and "EP_Diagnosis_desc" instead of "ITEMS".

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                  philmodjunk

Values for the value list is stored in "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list".

But there is no relationship between tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list and tbl_EP_Diagnosis. Thus, there cannot be a relationship based conditional value list where the values are specified in Manage | value lists to come from that table occurrence.

When I examine field names in your screen shot, I would guess that tbl_EP_Diagnosis_phylum_to_phylum_desc_List is a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? with the same data source table as tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list. That appears consistent with the rest of what you have posted.

So if you have set up your conditional value list correctly, the drop downs at the top of the "Specify Fields for Value List" dialog should be set to show fields from tbl_EP_Diagnosis_phylum_to_phylum_desc_List and the "include only related values" drop down should specify tbl_EP_Diagnosis.

Is that what you have set up?

If so, do you list values from one field or two in this value list? If two fields which two? and what options did you select for which field is visible and on which field the values are sorted?

Those details could keep some values from appearing in your value list in some cases. Another possibility is that small data entry errors in Phylum_List would keep records from matching via this relationship as expected. A punctuation mark or extra space character different is all that it will take.

There's one more possible factor that I have in mind, but I need you to answer the question that I asked earlier before I can tell if it might be a factor:

exactly what part of the data shown in your example represents a single "Item". Is the text below "Diagnosis" an example of one item, 4 items or an "item" something else?

• 6. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                    ChandraSrinivasan

Yes, "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_phylum_to_phylum_desc_List" is a table occurrence with the same data source table as "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list". I have set up the drop-downs like the way you've described. I have listed values from one field. 

I have provided examples of what is under "Phylum_list" (PHYLUM) and "Diagnosis_list" (DIAGNOSIS) (Please see first post).

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                      ChandraSrinivasan

Let me clarify the reply to your question. Each line (the whole line) in the example represents an item under PHYLUM and DIAGNOSIS respectively.

• 8. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                        philmodjunk

So to confirm:

Arrhythmia, Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), Atrioventricular reciprocating (Accessory connection-mediated tachycardia), Manifest accessory connection (WPW), Left free wall

Arrhythmia, Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), Atrioventricular reciprocating (Accessory connection-mediated tachycardia), Manifest accessory connection (WPW), Left free wall, Posterior

comes from two records in tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list and not one?

I have set up the drop-downs like the way you've described.

But I described more than one way that value list may have been set up. Two fields or one? If two fields, what other options did you select for what field(s) are visible and how they are sorted?

• 9. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                          ChandraSrinivasan

Comes from two records in "tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list"

I have setup value list from one field.

• 10. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                            philmodjunk

One possible explanation that I think we can now rule out is the possibility that you have text separated by returns in your Diagnosis list field. If there are, each portion of text between returns shows up as a separate value in your list.

Another possibility that we can now rule out is that duplicates in a second field in the value list setup were causing some to be omitted.

The indexing limitations does appear be the cause if a large portion of the text for two records in the same category (Phylum_List) starts with exactly the same text. They would be treated as duplicates and one would be omitted from the list. That definitely fits the example text shown since only the last word is different. (apologies here, in hind sight, this is very obvious. Sorry to take so long to get to this point...)

Rephrasing the text to put the portion that is distinct first is one possible solution.

Adding a field with a shortened, unique version of the text might also be added to your table of diagnosis values and that field could be displayed in a value list. A new relationship to a different occurrence of your tbl_EP_Diagnosis_list table that uses this new field as the match field could then be used to access the full description.

A better option might be to forgo using a value list at all. You could set up a portal to list the values for the selected Phylum_List value and a button in the portal row could be clicked to select a specific diagnosis. In FileMaker 12 and older, a button could open a small floating window with this portal to use for that purpose. In FileMaker 13, this would work very well with a Popover button.

• 11. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                              ChandraSrinivasan

Thank you for taking time to look into this. I will try your suggestions and see which one works best for me.

• 12. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                                ChandraSrinivasan

Could you please direct me to some material which I could use as help to set this up using popover button? Thanks.

• 13. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                                  philmodjunk

I don't have any information to use as a referral other than to direct you to FileMaker help which covers the basics on this control fairly well.

To add a popover to your FileMaker 13 layout, select the popover option from the button tool in the status tool bar and then draw a rectangle where you want a pop over button. The popover setup dialog will pop up automatically along with a re-sizeable pop over panel. You can use setup to specify from which side of the button the panel will "attach" and to add a name to the top of the panel if you want one. The panel is resizeable like any other layout object.

Once you have the popover panel open in layout mode you can use the portal tool to place a portal inside the popover.

• 14. Re: Conditional drop-down list "not showing all related values from starting table"
                                    ChandraSrinivasan

Yes! I could create the popover panel and the portal within. As you had mentioned, this is now showing the entire list of values ('Diagnosis' under 'Phylum'. How do I select the entry from within that popover?

1 2 Previous Next