1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 10:16 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional field overwrite upon import....

paulayala

Title

Conditional field overwrite upon import....

I have 3 dynamic excel files that I export and save to my desktop daily by logging in to a website to do so.I then import the 3 excel files to one filemaker db. I have established a button with a script to import them.

The excel files are incomplete data I bring together to make complete profiles. Some of the fields are still missing data when filemaker receives the import. Some aren't. For those that are missing, I manually fill the data in to complete the profiles.

1. How do I set a condition that tells filemaker to not overwrite a field containing data, but also add new records as profiles are added on original export? If fields on existing records were blank but now contain data upon new import, I would like the field imported. Likewise, if key fields are missing I would like to omit the record from import all together. Especially if I've deleted the record for the profile in filemaker, but the mostly blank profile is still in the excel export.

2. What is the proper import setup? Currently I have the mapping for my 3 tables, update existing records, add remaining as new, and perform auto-enter options.

3. Is there a way to set filemaker to automate the export/save/import process from beginning to end? This is probably just wishful thinking, but I figured...eh why not.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Conditional field overwrite upon import....
          philmodjunk

1) This would only be an issue if the data in the field is different from the corresponding cell in the Excel file. If that's the case, I think you will need to import into a separate file and then run a script to loop through the imported records and selectively move data into your existing records.

3) This sounds like something that might be scripted, though the initial "export" step where you download the data from your web site may not be possible to automate. There's a new feature in FileMaker 12 intended for this purpose though, so it depends on what version of FileMaker you have and your level of expertise with scripts and calculations---as well as the design of the web site from which you want to download information.