5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 9:21 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect

ManjitSandhu

Title

Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect

I've got an application where I have introduced a conditional field - two controls in the same place, one a drop-down and the other a field with input disabled. Both have hide conditions set so that one will show in a certain condition, and the other when the opposite condition is met. Therefore, users can select an item from the dropdown, and once it's been selected to a specific value, the dropdown is hidden and the field displayed. In FM Pro Advanced, it works exactly as expected. Once it is accessed via WebDirect, although the drop-down shows as expected, it's not possible to select from the dropdown in web mode. Is this a bug? Or is there another way to do this that avoids using conditional hiding? 

both.jpg

• 1. Re: Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect
          philmodjunk

If I ready your post correctly, you can see the control when you expect it to, but can't actually select a value from it.

If you reposition the controls to be side by side instead of on top of each other, can you then select a value from the pop up menu when it is visible?

I seem to recall an issue report stating that "hidden" layout objects in WebDirect intercepted mouse clicks intended for an object located beneath it....

• 2. Re: Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect
            ManjitSandhu

Many thanks. I've tried that and you are correct, alongside each other, they function perfectly. So is there an alternative approach to my logic? Once 'Complete' is chosen, it cannot be changed, and as controls can't be enabled/disabled in FM, this was the most suitable work-around. Is this a bug with WebDirect that's going to be fixed?

Thanks again

Martin

• 3. Re: Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect
              philmodjunk

I don't work for FileMaker and thus have no input as to what bugs will be fixed or when. FileMaker, BTW, makes it a policy to never announce in advance what features/bug fixes a new version of FileMaker might have.

We often had "disabled" buttons in FileMaker before we had the new "hide" feature. All you need do is set up the button's script to do nothing when the conditions indicate that the button should be disabled. A conditional format can change the appearance of the button, such as by turning the button's text a light grey to display the button in a "disabled" state. (You still have to set up the script to do nothing using the same logic as used in the conditional format.)

• 4. Re: Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect
                ManjitSandhu

For info, I got around this by doing the following:

Remove the Text field completely, change the pop-up menu to a drop-down list and add a script to the OnObjectEnter event of the drop-down, which jumps to the next control when Complete has been selected:

If [Client_ACTIVITY::d_Status = ""]
                Set Field [Client_ACTIVITY::d_Status, "Pending"]
                Else If [Client_ACTIVITY::d_Status = "Complete"]
                Go to Field[Client_ACTIVITY::Fixed_Fee]
                End If

I guess what would be nice was if I could find a way to make the Status and Date Completed (which also uses the same script) to look 'greyed-out' but this works, so the business is happy.

Thanks

Martin

• 5. Re: Conditional Field Won't Work Accessed via WebDirect
                  philmodjunk

I guess what would be nice was if I could find a way to make the Status and Date Completed (which also uses the same script) to look 'greyed-out'

That shouldn't be hard to do. and any script performed by a button click can be enclosed in an IF block that only allows the code to execute if it conditions indicate that it is not "disabled".