5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results

LeoB

Title

Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results

I have a database with two primary tables and four other tables.

The database has a Main Menu based off one of the primary tables.  The purpose of the Main Menu is primarily for navigation amongst the 18 user viewable layouts as the database will be run in Kiosk mode.  I also want to use it for notification, which is where the conditional formatting comes in.

Of the 21 buttons on the Main Menu, I have conditional formatting on four of them to alert the user to records requiring attention for different reasons.  The formatting looks at various field settings in the two primary tables and highlights to the user when there are records overdue, requiring approval, etc.

The conditional formatting on all four fields does work -- but not consistently.  I have test records set that should cause all four buttons to be highlighted with conditional formatting.  Two highlight consistently, but two others will not.  Of the latter, if I click on the one not displaying conditional formatting, it takes me to the layout and shows records that are true for the conditional format.  When I navigate back to the Main Menu, the button is now highlighted correctly, but then the other button (which I know is true) turns off conditional formatting.

Is there some script I can put OnLayoutLoad for the Main Menu to cause it to check all of the fields that are involved in conditinal fomatting?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results
          philmodjunk

Can you post the conditional format expressions here and document any tables/relationships involved?

I doubt you need any such special scripting support for this.

• 2. Re: Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results
            LeoB

Well, I've been trying all kinds of things to figure this out on my own, but still can't get it to function correctly.

The Main Menu is based on an Admin table that hosts the Help Menus and other things, but no actual records.  As I said, it's just for navigation, notification, and storage.   All records are in two primary tables (Activity and Issue).  I also tried hosting the Main Menu in both of the other tables, but there was no change.

Admin                           Activity                          Issue

AdminID_PK::            AdminID_FK                                

ActivityID_PK ::               ActivityID_FK     

The Conditional Formatting on the button on the Main Menu is:

Formula is IsEmpty ( Activity::ApprovedBy ) and to change text color on the button.

Clicking the button takes the user to a list/find layout that lists all Activity Records awaiting approval with a button to go to each record on the list.  All that works fine, but the darned button on the Main Menu returns the text color even when clicking on it takes the user to an empty list.  In the table view of those tables, all ApprovedBy fields have data in them, so none are empty.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results
              mrvodka

Put the related field Activity::ApprovedBy directly on the Admin layout. I think that more than likely there will be no value.

From what you stated, you have an additional criteria in the script that the relationship does not; being "Records waiting approval". The relationship just returns all the related activity records.

• 4. Re: Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results
                LeoB

Yep, I see what you're saying now.  I was using conditional formatting all wrong.

Back to &*^$? drawing board!

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Conditional Formatting getting inconsistent results
                  philmodjunk

You appear to have this relationship:

Admin::AdminID_PK = Activity::AdminID_FK

Is that correct?

How do you control what value is in AdminID_PK?

For a quick test, I'd place a portal to Activity on the admin layout that displays the ApprovedBy field to confirm you have the values you think you do. Your description of the problem suggests you might have a different value in AdminID_PK than you expect.