6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 11:17 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!

GabiMatias

Title

Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!

Hello, I am creating mass mailing lists in the Envelope format in my data base. My issue is that some business have "Attn:" lines incorporated in their address, while some do not. I need to figure out how to tell the program to hide the "Attn:" lines and move the other address lines up if the "Attn:" line is blank.  

I thought that conditional formatting could help me do this, however I have no clue how to use syntax to write a formula that would accomplish this. Help!!! And many thanks

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
          philmodjunk

This is not something that you would do with conditional formatting.

There are two options:

a) set fields to slide up--a setting in the inspector

b) use a calculation field

• 2. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
            GabiMatias

Ive tried the sliding, and for some reason it doesn't work

• 3. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
              philmodjunk

It works. To help you figure out why it didn't work for you, you'd need to describe the design of your layout and exactly what options you selected.

• 4. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
                GabiMatias

This is what I have

• 5. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
                  SteveMartino

Try Phil's suggestion of a calculation field, call it Label, and put this calculation in there:

Let ([
                     @addr= List(address1; address2; city & ", " & state & "  " & zip; Country);  //make sure you use all the correct names in your DB
                     @attn=  Case(
                            not IsEmpty(Table::attnField);
                            "Attn:  " & Table::attnField
                      ) //end case

]; //end variables

List (TextStyleAdd(Company;Bold);@attn;@addr)
                  )//end Let

You can either put this on the layout as a merge field, or you can put this as an auto enter calc, in the Label field, and put that field on the layout (then you could still type into the field and make changes)

edit:  Changed calc to add TextStyleAdd to make company name bold

@Phil....says he's using FM12

• 6. Re: Conditional Formatting in FM Pro 12 Help!!
                    philmodjunk

The "attn:" layout text is what is keeping the fields from sliding up. If you use "Hide object when" to hide this text object when the Attn field is empty, you can set the Attn layout text, the Attn field and all layout objects located below it to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part".

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                    3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                    5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                    7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                    9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                    11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                    13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                    15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.