5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 9:07 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional formatting in portal records

ijontichy

Title

Conditional formatting in portal records

I have a portal from one table into another and I'm trying to use conditional formatting so that if the data in the next row matches the data in the row above it, it changes color.

In essence, I only want to see the information in that field when it changes.

Portal is sorted.

The boolean argument I'm using is:

Table::Field=GetNthRecord (Table::Field; Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 )

But it's not working.   What am I missing?   And can I assume that the argument would fail automatically for the first row in the portal?

• 1. Re: Conditional formatting in portal records
          philmodjunk

Looks like Get ( RecordNumber ) may be returning the record number for the parent record rather than the record in the portal row.

Do your portal records have an auto-entered serial number in a number field by any chance? If so, we can set up a self join that will match to the record with the same parent with the largest serial number less than the current records serial number--which will be the previous record if your portal is unsorted.

• 2. Re: Conditional formatting in portal records
            ijontichy

Thank you Phil!

I created a serial number and a calculation (serial-1) and put the selfjoin together using that and after a bit of jiggering it worked.

Appreciate the help.   I just want to say that you've been answering my naive questions for several years now and am truly grateful for your patience and expertise.

If you want to use this reply as proof that you deserve a raise, you have my permission to do so.

:)

• 3. Re: Conditional formatting in portal records
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, but since I don't get paid for answering questions here (I volunteer my time here), the only pay that I get are thankyous from grateful posters. That has sometimes been a material thank you in the form of a paypal deposit or a sample of the wares sold by the person's company, but all I really expect is a) a thank you and that b) some of you will "pay it forward" by helping out others in this forum.

In fact, one of the biggest "kicks" I get out of this forum is seeing someone else pass on my advice or share one of my links as a way to help out someone else. That's major confirmation that the person truly "got it" when I originally helped them.

• 4. Re: Conditional formatting in portal records
                ijontichy

If you can, please send me your paypal account info.  I cannot offer much but you are certainly deserving.   And I do pass on many things I learn from you.  

• 5. Re: Conditional formatting in portal records
                  philmodjunk

Send me a private message and i'll respond with that info.