3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 10:10 AM by LaRetta_1

Conditional formatting on a calculated field.

HowardRathbun

Title

Conditional formatting on a calculated field.

I created a calculated field on a layout using a global variable.  That works fine but I cannot apply conditional formating to it.  The format (text color) changes but the conditional part does not work.  I have used conditional formatting on other fields with no problems.  What to do?

• 1. Re: Conditional formatting on a calculated field.
          LaRetta_1

We need to know specifics - what is the calculation, what is the conditional part.  But here is an example of using a layout-level variable, if this is what you mean by global variable on a layout.  There is no need for a calculation at all with vs. 11.

http://www.4shared.com/file/mw-u1Tly/VarDisplay.html

• 2. Re: Conditional formatting on a calculated field.
            HowardRathbun

I used the Create Text icon to place a text area on the layout.  Then Inserted a Merge Variable into that text area.  This  process requires a global variable which I defined in a script and it is the result of a calculation using a couple of fields on the layout.  Works just fine.  When I move to a different record, the "calculated field" displays the new result for that record.  As expected.  Now I want to apply conditional formating to that field (eg red text if the value is negative) and I can't get that to work.  I have used conditional formating on other fields with no problem.  Is conditional formating not allowed on global variables or merged variables?

This Merge Variable scheme is the only way I have found to do a calculation using fields in a layout and show the result on the layout without creating additional fields in the underlying tables.

• 3. Re: Conditional formatting on a calculated field.
              LaRetta_1

I don't know why you think a global variable is required nor script.  Script triggers and layout-level variables handle it all.  Can you upload your file somewhere and provide a link?