3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 10:21 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional Formatting to Related Table Data w/ Portal

drust

Title

Conditional Formatting to Related Table Data w/ Portal

Hi,

After looking around for awhile, I'm giving up and just asking this myself. 

I have a "Worksheet" table/layout that has a portal to "Weight Check" records that are created through the relationship within the Weight Check portal on the Worksheet record. The Worksheet contains the weight parameters for the job, and I want to use conditional formatting to highlight weight check values that exceed the weight parameters. My conditional formatting calculation is:

(worksheet_WEIGHT CHECK::weight 1  > WORKSHEET::High_wt_entered)
           or  
           (worksheet_WEIGHT CHECK::weight 1  < WORKSHEET::Low_wt_entered)

I expected this to work but instead it displays question marks (with the conditional formatting I assigned) in place of the values of the field. If I click into the field, the question mark is replaced by the value in the field (unformatted). The weight parameters themselves are an attribute of the product being worked on, so I've tried using a calculation to display those from a separate related Product table versus entering them manually into fields in the Worksheet table - neither works. Does the calculation for conditional formatting only work when the values being compared exist in the same table? 

If anyone can guide me on how to proceed to make this work, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
           Dan

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting to Related Table Data w/ Portal
          philmodjunk

You seem to have two different issues here. A conditional format expression is used to change the fill color, the text color or a number of other font formatting options.

The question mark, on the other hand is FileMaker's way of telling you that it can't display the field's value correctly in the layout's field object. This could be due to a math error such as division by zero, but then the question mark is still there when you click into the field. If you can click into the field and see the correct value appear in place of the question mark, you need only make your field wider so that it is wide enough to display the formatted data correctly.

• 2. Re: Conditional Formatting to Related Table Data w/ Portal
            drust

It figures that my first foray into the forum would have an answer this embarrassingly simple!

Thanks so much for solving this for me, I will be more diligent with my troubleshooting before posting next time.

• 3. Re: Conditional Formatting to Related Table Data w/ Portal
              philmodjunk

No need to apologize! You may feel foolish when the answer turns out to be simple, but think how foolish it would have been to remain frustrated on this issue. And while the answer is simple when you understand the cause, it's not a question that would have been easy to find by searching help or the knowledge base so asking here makes perfect sense.