7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 8:59 AM by philmodjunk

conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath

tays01s

Title

conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath

I want a label to appear on the last row of a portal 'New' but not be seen once the row begins to be filled. I have set this field to transparent fill and have conditional formatting of 'Not Is Empty [field]' to give it a white fill once data is entered. I have an example file in which this works, but the current solution doesn't; I can't spot any differences.

The field does indeed appear transparent in Layout mode but has the white background in Browse. I can only see the underlying label if I click into this row, not otherwise.

• 1. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
          schamblee

I can't tell what you are doing wrong without seeing a screenshot or the app.    You don't need conditional formatting to make this work.   You can use a merge field or merge variable with a calculation.  I will give an example with a merge field.

Create a calculation field, let call it status with the following calculation

If(IsEmpty(yourfield);"New";"")

then under storage options click "Do not store - Recalculate as needed"

Then under the Insert menu option select Insert Merge field and select the status field.

As long as yourfield is empty "New" will display after you start typing and commit the record, then "New" will disappear.

• 2. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
            tays01s

Yes that could work in many instances. Unfortunately this is a date field. I've uploaded the image of my attempt. The Calc in conditional formatting was: not IsEmpty (Prescription::__PrescriptionID). However, if there's an alternative, that would be good because I've noticed that my method won't work with portals specifying multiple rows, because unless there's enough rows to fill the portal, the label will NOT be below the last row, instead it'll be below it.

• 3. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
              schamblee

What is a date field?  It doesn't matter, using a merge field will work as I stated above. 

Why your method isn't working :

In either case I would not use an Id field.  A primary id field should never be empty.  The serial number is insert as soon as the recorded is created.  The method you were trying to use, will not work in a portal because the record will not show up unless it's related to the parent table. The  only way it will show in the portal is if the foreign id field is not empty.  So it both cases the id field would never be empty. 

Again, a merge field would be the best method to use.  That's the purpose of a merge field. 

• 4. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
                tays01s

How do I insert the merge field into a portal? I've 3 rows showing and the field in which the 'message' is to appear has a drop-down calender if that makes any difference.

• 5. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
                  philmodjunk

I'd put the label text on top of the field, but use conditional formatting to set the font size of the label text to 120+ points in size to make it disappear on all but the last portal row.

• 6. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
                    tays01s

I must be doing something wrong because I neither get the 'New' appearing and when I set to pt 120 the label disappears off-screen.

Are you saying:

- Create a merge field: <<Record::Date_modified>><<New_message>>

- Put it on top of: Record::Date_modified

- And conditionally format the merge field text to 120?

The date appears fine, but I don't get the 'New' for an unfilled row and the merge field won't sit accurately within the confines of the field.

• 7. Re: conditional formatting: making field transparent to see label underneath
                      philmodjunk

I am saying to use the text field to put layout text on top of your field. If this text is stored in a field, then yes, a merge field can be used instead. Format the text while in layout mode to a normal font size.

Use the conditional format of this text to change the size to 120 points or larger under circumstances where you don't want the text to be visible.