1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 3:06 PM by philmodjunk

Conditional line printing

WilliamBartels

Title

Conditional line printing

My database has records with a number of fields.  Two of these are FILED and COMMENT.  I want to set FileMaker to always print the first line, containing a selection of data.  If FILED is not empty, I want to follow with a line containg the FILED field.  If COMMENT is not empty, I want to follow with a line containing the COMMENt field.

xxx xx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (COMMENT and FILED both empty)

yyy yy yyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ( COMMENT not empty but FILED is)

Comment:  <contents of COMMENT field>

zzz zz zzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  ( Both COMMENT and FILED contain data)

Filed: <contents of FILED field>

Comment: <contents of COMMENT field>

www ww wwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  ( COMMENT is empty but FILED is not)

Filed: <contents of FILED field>

vvvv vvv vvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  ( COMMENT and FILED both empty)

uuu uu uuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  (...)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  The database is excellent, but the help facility leaves much to be desired,

• 1. Re: Conditional line printing
          philmodjunk

If you use a calculation field to produce lines 2 and 3 for each record, you can define a calcuation field that is empty when FileD and Comment are empty respectively. Then you can set slide up/also resize enclosing part to remove the blank space when you print or preview the report. The sliding will not be visible in browse mode.

Here's a sample calcluation for the FileD line:

If ( Not IsEmpty ( FileD ) ; "Filed: " ; "" )