7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 4:04 PM by comment_1

Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database

GeorgeM

Title

Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database

<!-- StartFragment -->

I am trying to print Name Badges from two tables based on aconditional “Find” in Table 1.

Table 1 contains records with myriad information and fields.  Each record has a unique “file number ”field which links it to Table 2. Each file number represents a unique “company” entity (Company name,address, etc.).

In Table 1 there is a field in each record in which I put a“y” if I want to print out meeting badges for people from that companyentity.   Table 2 contains thefirst and last names of people from the various company entities who will beattending the meeting.   How doI print out the name badges based on the above?  I can print the badges based on Table 2 but I can’t limit itto only those companies who I have identified with a “y” in the appropriate Table1 field.

Secondly, I have spouse’s names included in Table 2.  If a spouse will be accompanying theperson attending, I put a “y” in a “Spouse Attending” field in Table 2.  How do I also print a badge for thespouse based on the above?

I am a new user to FileMaker.  I previously used Access and have converted the above Databaseand Tables from Access to Filemaker.

Thanks for your help.

George M 

<!-- EndFragment -->

• 1. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
          philmodjunk

Let's assume your company ID ("file number") is stored in a global field. (It could also be stored in a variable or passed as a script parameter.)

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [Table2::FileNumberField; Table::globalfield]

Set Field [Table1:: PrintCompanyYfield; "y"]

New Record/Request

Set Field [Table2::FileNumberField; Table::globalfield]

Set Field [Table1:: PrintSpouseYfield; "y"]

Perform Find []

Creating two requests like this is the logical equivalent of an "OR" while specifying different criteria within the same request is the logical equivalent of "AND".

• 2. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
            GeorgeM

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post.  Table 1 contains 651 records, each of which is a separate company (ABC Manufacturing, AllClean Supplies, etc.)  Each record has a file number that is unique to that record.

In Table 2, I have a list on first and last names, and first names of spouses from each company.  Some companies might have 10-20 persons (hence names) of people attending the meeting.  In Table 2 the company is identified by a file number that is linked to Table 1.

The File Number is not a global field.  I want to print the names of people attending from each company, based on a "Y" in a field for each record in Table 1.  The "Y" would indicate that that company is being represented at the meeting by the persons in Table 2 from that company.

As a second printing, I want to print the names (first and last) of spouses accompanying each person from the company represented, if they (the spouses) are attending the meeting based on a "Y" in a field in Table 2.

Does this clear up what I'm trying to do?  Is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks for your help. 

• 3. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
              comment_1

For the first pass, search Table 2 for "Y" in the RELATED field from Table 1.

For the second pass, constrain the found set in Table 2 by searching for "Y" in the LOCAL field.

• 4. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
                GeorgeM
                   I;m a novice user.  How do I do what you suggest?
                • 5. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
                  comment_1

You can do this manually, or script it.

I could probably explain this bettter if you provided names for your tables and fields.

• 6. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
                    GeorgeM

Table 1 is titled "Database."  The field which indicates if a company will be atending is "Attend Conf"

Table 2 is titled "Names"  The field which indicates if spouses are attending is "Spouse Attend"

I would prefer to do this manually as I don't know scripts at this point in my learning curve.  I started converting to Filemaker 3 months ago and am learning based on the Filemaker Bible.

Thanks for your help. 

• 7. Re: Conditional Printing from 2 Tables in a Database
                      comment_1

First, go to a layout of Names, enter Layout mode, and place the field "Attend Conf" from the Database table on the layout (this is only required for a manual find, not for a scripted one).

Now, for the first pass: enter Find mode, type "Y" (without the quotes) into that field, and press Enter (or select Requests > Perform Find).

For the second pass: enter Find mode, type "Y" (without the quotes) into the "Spouse Attend" field, and select Requests > Constrain Found Set.