1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 12:30 PM by philmodjunk

Conditional Serial number

DaleGregory

Title

Conditional Serial number

Newbie here - exploring possibility of moving company equipment list to FM 

inherited a unit # convention that uses a prefix code: EX for excavator, DZ for dozer etc and a 3 digit number to make a unique unit number for each piece of equipment.

Wondering if its possible to set this up so the next available number is selected by default once the prefix is selected.

i.e. User selects "EX" to create a new excavator, EX001, EX002 already used, so 003 would auto populate?

I've tried researching on my own, just want to know if it's possible

• 1. Re: Conditional Serial number
          philmodjunk

Please do not use such an identifier as the primary key for linking records in relationships. Make it a data field in your equipment table so that you can print or display it when needed and so that you can use it is searches and sorts. But use an auto-entered serial number as the unique identifier to use in relationships.

Here's a demo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggjy88cgkescopy/CategorySerialNos.fp7

It's in the older file format so if you are using FileMaker 12 or newer, use Open from FileMaker's File menu to produce a copy of the file converted to the new file format.

The file uses a relationship that matches to all records of the same group (such as all excavators) and then uses the Max function to compute the next number in the series for that group.