4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 12:54 AM by FeldyNYC

Conditional Value List - Products by Category

FeldyNYC

Title

Conditional Value List - Products by Category

I have a LineItems Table an Artwork Table and an Artists Table and I am having trouble finding the connection in the LineItems Table once I bring in the artist to finding the titles under that name.

Line_Items---Artwork Table --- Artists Table.

First I populate the Artwork table with artist and a title - In the Artwork Table I have Artist_ID_FK

In the LineItems Table, I have Artist_ID_FK and I have I have an Artwork_ID_FK where I would like to see the title.

Is this right? 

Screen_Shot_2014-08-23_at_6.43.42_AM.png

• 1. Re: Conditional Value List - Products by Category
          FeldyNYC
          /files/d171edcf3d/Screen_Shot_2014-08-23_at_6.45.00_AM.png 270x121
          • 2. Re: Conditional Value List - Products by Category
            FeldyNYC
            /files/b7efea10c7/Screen_Shot_2014-08-23_at_8.20.16_AM.png 674x599
            • 3. Re: Conditional Value List - Products by Category
              philmodjunk

I can't make out your current relationships in the first screen shot and thus can't tell what match fields match to which. If you were to drag the occurrence boxes a bit further apart so that the = operator doesn't obscure key details, I could more clearly see what you have currently in place.

What does one record in line items represent? The sale of one copy of a record in Artworks? (such as selling a print....?)

And do you want to select an artist first, then see only the artworks linked to that artist? Or is there some other Category (genre?) involved?

I will assume that you want to select an artist and then select from the artists works in this example.

That would require these relationships:

ArtworksByArtist>-----Line_Items>---Artwork_Table> --- Artist_Table

Line_Items::_fkArtistID = ArtworksByArtis::_fkArtistID
                   Line_Items::_fkArtworkID = Artwork_Table::__pkArtworkID

Your conditional value list would list values from ArtworksByArtist, __pkArworkID for field 1, a name/description field for field 2. And you'd format the Line_Items::_fkArtworkID field with this value list. In the value list setup, you'd select "include only related values, starting from line_items".)

I've just released Adventures In FileMaking #1, a training resource on Conditional Value Lists that demonstrates 8 different variations of a conditional value list in one file. You can down load it from my FaceBook page.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 4. Re: Conditional Value List - Products by Category
                FeldyNYC

i had been frustrated for months and this worked perfectly, thank you!  I will be sure to look at your caulkins consulting, home of adventures in filemaking.

Once again, thank you.

FeldyNYC