Conditional value list and relationships (I got it to work...but is this how it is supposed to work?)
I have two files (Volunteer and Animal) and need to be able to do two main things:
1) Have a conditional value list that only shows Volunteers who have a Role of Foster
2) Use that conditional value list in two field model (Volunteer ID and Volunteer name) to populate a FosterID field in the animal table (this shows which of our volunteers is currently fostering the animal before we can place it) via a relationship from Animal::FosterID->Volunteer::ID
I managed to get all of this working...however it seems "wrong"...and I wanted to confirm this what I did is the way this is supposed to be done...
I needed to do the following:
- Create a global variable in Animal (gFosterFilter)
- Populate it with the value "Foster"
- Create a FosterFilter reference/table in the Relationship map (distinct from the main Animal table which relates Animal:FosterID to Volunteer:ID)
- Relate gFosterFilter to the Role field in my Volunteer table
So I have this spurious global field (Animal::gFosterFilter) and spurious entry in my relationship map (FosterFilter) just to be able to display a filtered drop-down list inside of Animal which I ultimate use to populate FosterID and establish the relationship between the Animal and the Volunteer who is Fostering it...
I'm hoping there is a more elegant/cleaner way to accomplish this as this seems rather kludgey...
PS Last worked heavily with FPro back in V6 days...and things are..er...different now. Still trying to decide if it is better or not...