1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 1:02 PM by philmodjunk

Conditional Value list from a self-join relationship

jessieleah

Title

Conditional Value list from a self-join relationship

I have a Master Training List that has classes that are broken down into Catagories.

I want to be able to create a conditional value list to be used in another table based on Catagory selected then of course you should get the corresponding classes.  I have created CVLs before but they were done the traditional way.  I tried to create one based on one table (using a self-join relationship) and I cannot seem to make it work.

How it would work is an employee or their manager can enter their employee record and go to the portal which is the Training Schedule (this is related to Master Training List)  The catagory they select - say Paygrade Advancement then the Class field would show only classes listed under Paygrade Advancement catagory.  

I don't know if can be done and if it can - maybe I'm relating something wrong or not enough relating?  It didn't make sense to relate the Master Training List to the Employee table because the Training Schedule is the go between of those two tables.  Any thoughts you have would be good?  If it requires a calculation of some sort - you may have to spell it out because I'm not calculation saavy.  :)

• 1. Re: Conditional Value list from a self-join relationship
          philmodjunk

I want to be able to create a conditional value list to be used in another table based on Catagory

That doesn't read to me like a description of a self join. It sounds like two tables linked in a relationship that is not a self join.

In any case the rules for setting up a conditional value list based on a self join relationship are identical to how you would set it up on a relationship between two different data source tables.

You would seem to have these three tables in these relationships:

Employees----<TrainingSchedule>-----Master TrainingList    (---< means one to many)

If so, you need a new occurrence of Master TrainingList to link to TrainingSchedule like this:

TrainingSchedule::Category = MasterTrainingListByCategory::Category

Then you specify values from the MasterTrainingListByCategory table occurrence in the value list setup and specify either Employees or TrainingSchedule as the "starting from" table occurrence.