3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 11:12 AM by carolynhaywood

Conditional Value list not working Please Help!

carolynhaywood

Title

Conditional Value list not working Please Help!

This is a summary of all the post comments I have made regarding this problem which I have narrowed down over the past 6 days.

Table jobinformation

Table Billabletime

- Table Billabletimeselected is an occurance of table Billable time

Table Codes

- Table CodeType is an occurance of table Codes

- Table CodeType is an occurance of Table Codes

- Table CodeCode is an occurance of Table Codes

Table occurance billabletimeselected has a field job id and a field billableid 

Table Job Information has a field job id and a global field billableIDselected.

JobInformation::JobID = BillabletimeSelected::JobID

PLUS

Jobinformation::billableIdSelected = BillabletimeSelected::billableID

CODE OCCURANCE RELATIONSHIPS:

CodeType::type =CodeSection::Type

CodeSection::section=CodeCode::section

I have 4 value lists based on the relationships of these tables.

1. Type = Codetype::type; all values

2  Section = CodeSection::section; related values from Codetype

3  Code = CodeCode:code; related values from CodeSection

4 Description = CodeCode::descripton; related values from CodeSection

I have two tabs with 2 portals on a layout based on table job information

tab 1 = billabletime portal from table billabletime

tab 2 = billabletimeselected portal from table occurance billabletimeselected

each record is connected by a button with the script:  "'set field jobinformation::billableidselected;billabletime::billableid"

Portal billabletimeselected has 4 fields based on the value lists above: Type, Section, Code, Description.

Each field as the appropriate value list assigned to it.

When a new record is created the field type works - a pop up menu appears with two values to choose from.

When you click on section, code, and description, it says "no values defined"

that is my problem.

If I set the value list for section, codes and description to show all values  - the pop up menu works great - all 30 sections show, as well as all 300 codes and 300 descriptions.  So there must be something wrong with the relationships of the code table occurances.

PLEASE, ANY HELP WELCOME.  I have to migrate this data on Saturday  and can't finish the database until I have solved this problem.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, tips, advice etc you have to offer.

-Carolyn Haywood

• 1. Re: Conditional Value list not working Please Help!
          carolynhaywood
           I thnk I may know what is wrong but am unable to test it as I am at work. Here's how the value lists should look: Type - CodeType:type use all values Section - CodeType:section use values from CodeType Code - CodeSection:code Use values from CodeSection Is this correct?
          • 2. Re: Conditional Value list not working Please Help!
            philmodjunk

Thanks for hanging in there and providing the details that I requested. It may seem like I've been nit picking but these details are crucial to spelling out the solution:

I think you have a typo in your description of the basic relationships for your portals but that doesn't really affect the solution to your problem.

I believe that you have: (note change in blue)

obInformation::JobID = Billabletime::JobID

Jobinformation::billableIdSelected = BillabletimeSelected::billableID

CodeType::type =CodeSection::Type

CodeSection::section=CodeCode::section

What is missing is that there is no relationship linking an occurrence of your Code table to BillabletimeSelected. Without this link, the code table can only serve as the source of values for an "all values" value list such as type. That's why it works and the others fail.

We can fix this by adding/changing some relationships. I'm going to use new occurrences of the Codes table on the assumption that you may need your existing occurrences for other purposes.

Add these two new relationships:

BillabletimeSelected::Type = CodesByType::Type

BillabletimeSelected::Section = CodesBySection::Section

Now your two conditional value lists can be defined as:

Section = CodesByType::section; related values from BillabletimeSelected

Code = CodesBySection::Code; related values from BillabletimeSelected

• 3. Re: Conditional Value list not working Please Help!
              carolynhaywood
              THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I realize that my posts were jumbled - that's because my brain waS too!                                                                                                                                                I did not have a typo though, BillabletmeSelected::jobid = jobinformation::jobid. THANKS AGAIN, Carolyn