5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 5:55 PM by chuckburr

Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13

chuckburr

Title

Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13

In one simple sentence what is the difference of how you setup a conditional value list in a portal vs. a record?

I can easily create a conditional value list based on a value in a record (or table view) but how does it differ in a portal? The value list should change as you go do different portal rows with different related values as it does in a table view but it does not. I am always getting the same filtered value list regardless of what record I am now or what value is in the portal. It is filtering, not giving the entire list.

For a record or table view, you simply choose a relationship for "Use value from first field" and the same base table for the "Include only related values starting from:"

How does the setup vary for a portal?

Thank you,

Chuck Burr

Restoration Seeds
           Ashland, Oregon

• 1. Re: Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13
          philmodjunk

It actually works the same. But with a portal, you are dealing with two table occurrences--the TO for the layout and the TO for the portal. From what you describe it sounds like you have specified the layout's TO as the "starting from" setting in value list set up instead of the portal's TO.

• 2. Re: Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13
            chuckburr

When I choose the portal's relationship as the starting from, the filtering in the first field stops working. The portal is just based on a value of a global to give a first filtering. Then we create portal rows and as we fill date in the row, the lists should be conditional based on the entered data. That is a given.

By the way. I am trying to get data not in the table of the portal but in another table related to the portal table. So, I need to make the same relationship to another table work in the portal that occurs in the actual table.

• 3. Re: Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13
              philmodjunk

You'll need to describe your set up in detail. How is your layout designed? What tables/relationships are involved? How exactly did you set up the value list in Manage | Value List?

• 4. Re: Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13
                chuckburr

Thanks.

I just want to get a vendor's items from a Price table in an Order table view.

From the Order table, the conditional value list of the vendor's items is a snap, no worries.

However, I create a portal view of the Order filtering just current (pending) orders based on a global, easy.

Then I just want to do the same thing again. Get the items for a vendor in a portal row from the Prices table.

This is funny, I have been using FM for 20 years, you think this would be easy. :)

• 5. Re: Conditional Value List Portal Difference FMP13
                  chuckburr

Issue resolved.

You have to choose the actual Order table as the starting point for the conditional value list to work in the portal. You do not choose the relationship that creates the portal as the starting point.

Thank you Phil.