AnsweredAssumed Answered

Conditional Value List Question

Question asked by eldoonmad on Mar 8, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 by laurahildebrand

Title

Conditional Value List Question

Hello,

I am very new to FileMaker Pro, still figuring things out. Anyways here is my situation. I am creating a database for asset management and inventory purposes. I have one table for my products as they come in and another that is specifically for assets, taking the product table's fields and adding additional information to it such as location, serial number, etc. Part of the asset form layout that I have allmost succesfully completed uses, what I guess are called, conditional value lists.

Basically it goes like this, on my asset layout I have a field titled category which has a relationship with the category field on the products table. It is set as a pop up window. When I select it, it shows me a list of all categories on my products table.

Then the next feild in the asset layout is titled manufacturer. This will only bring up manufacturers from the product table that are related to the category I selected in the previous field.

That works well on my database, so then I continue, I then have a product line field on my asset layout that will show only a list of product lines from the products table that are related to the previously selected manufacturer.

OK, that works just fine as well. Then the next feild in the asset layout is titled model. This is where I am confused, it shows a complete list of models from the product table relating to the selected manufacturer, not a list of models relating to the product line. 

Here is a quick breakdown

Tables : 

Products

Assets

Relationships:

Category feild in both Products and Assets table

Assets Layout fields:

Category (list of all items in the category feild from the product table) WORKS

Manufacturer (list of manufacturers from the product table based on selection in category)WORKS

Product Line (list of product lines from the product table based on selection in manufacturer)WORKS

Model (list of models from the product table based on selection in product line) Gives list of all models related to manufacturer

Screen_Shot_2012-03-08_at_8.44.06_AM.png

Outcomes