9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 1:26 PM by deraymen

Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list

deraymen

Title

Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list

I have created a table that has ITEM, WO, SEQNEM as columns.   There are multiple, WO for each ITEM and etc...

The table is presented as a view from a SQL database Table

I have created 3 Table Occurrences, to be used to create three value lists.

TO#1: starting table Occurrence -> used to create the ITEM value List

TO#2: Related to TO1 via the ITEM - > used to create the WO value list set up to show the value related from the TO#1

TO#3: Related to TO#2 via WO -> used to create SEQNUM value list set up to show values related from TO#2

I have set up fields on my layout with Drop Down value lists for ITEM, WO and SEQNUM.

The problem is that I do get entries generated on the value lists, but I just seem to only get the first one that comes up on the list.  In other words, I have six WO for one ITEM, but only the first WO shows up in my drop down.

I have other conditional value lisst on my layout, arranged similarly, but I do not know why this one does not work.

I have verified that the SQL view I get has all the values I would expect to get.  It is just that the conditional value list filtering is filtering out everything but just the first value.

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

deray

• 1. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
          philmodjunk

TO1::item = TO2::item

TO2::WO = TO3::WO

I have set up fields on my layout

Presumably this layout is based on TO1. Correct?

But exactly what options did you select in the value list set up for WO values?

• 2. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
            deraymen

Hi Phil,

I selected the WO column from TO2

And checked the "include Only Related Values Starting From"  filed with the selection of "TO1"

I think that is what you are asking.

• 3. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
              philmodjunk

And is the layout based on TO1?

What If so, try this test. Put a portal to TO2 on your layout. Do you get the records you expect as values in your value list to appear in the portal?

Also, what data type is item? Number? text? or ???

• 4. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                deraymen

The layout is NOT based on TO1.

Each value list feeds into individual fields (Item, WO, SeqNum) of the main layout. 

The WO and SeqNum value lists work, but they just show the first entry in the filtered list.  The one entry they do show is correct.

• 5. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                  philmodjunk

Then on what layout is it based? This detail is crucial to the correct function of a relationship based conditional value list. The "starting from" table occurrence specified in the value list set up is, almost always, the same table occurrence as that on which the layout where it is used is based. In the few cases where it is not, it must be a related table occurrence and the relationship must be correctly set up in order for that to work.

• 6. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                    deraymen

Hi,

I actually created three portals, one for each field, with 20 rows each.  The portals do show the correct values.

So, while I could see the multiple WO entries in the portal, I just see one in the value list.

The datatype is Text except for SeqNum, which is a number datatype.

deray

• 7. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                      deraymen

"Then on what layout is it based? This detail is crucial to the correct function of a relationship based conditional value list. The "starting from" table occurrence specified in the value list set up is, almost always, the same table occurrence as that on which the layout where it is used is based. In the few cases where it is not, it must be a related table occurrence and the relationship must be correctly set up in order for that to work."

Hi,

The Layout is based on a table occurrence for a table called NC.(Let's call this TocNC)

I have the ItemWO Table, from which I have created TO#1, TO#2 and TO#3.

The relationship has been established between TocNC::Item = TO1::Item

Then, as you indicated, TO1::Item = TO2::Item, TO2::WO = TO3::WO etc..

Thanks

• 8. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                        philmodjunk

Can you upload two images for me? (Use two posts to keep the images easy to read.)

A screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationships cropped to just show the TO's that you just described.

A screen shot of this layout (without the added portals), taken in Layout mode.

And identify which field on your layout is used to specify the item, WO and SEQNUM.

• 9. Re: Conditional Value List showing truncated (only one) value on list
                          deraymen

Hi Phil,

I went back and changed the "Include only related values starting from" field to show the Layout table, the one I identified as TocNC.

That seems to work for the WO and SeqNum value lists - they are now showing the proper selected values.

There is another chain, where I have ITEM - VENDOR - PONUMBER - RECEIVERID, set up similarly, which I also related to the TocNC::Item field.   Based on what I learned on the ITEM - WO - SEQNUM sequence, I had all the value lists filtered to relate to the TocNC Layout.   It seems the VENDOR value List correctly filters, but the PONUMBER and RECEIVERID value lists seem to just filter by the ITEM number, and not the VENDOR name.    This is still manageable and we can live with it.  It just seems like there is a certain depth beyond which one can't call up conditional value lists.   I will tinker around and see if I can understand how to tweak them further.  I will send you screen shots if that doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for the help.