2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 7:22 AM by BenOtto

conditional value list: two direction dependence

BenOtto

Title

conditional value list: two direction dependence

Hi

I have a relation of category -> subcategory (eg.car brand -> model). Each category has it's own table to allow 1:n relations.

What I do is define two name fields for each category and set the latter field (model) to an automatic value list that is populated on the flow in dependence on the upper-level item. E.g. when I enter Ford as a car brand my "model" field only displays a selection of ford models.

Now suppose I have the following datasets:

* Ford -> (Mustang; Ka; Focus; Fiesta)

* BMW -> (Mini)

* Toyota -> () # Where Toyotas model list is still empty

Can I set up a conditional value list for the car brand that only displays those car brands which have at least one model defined? (Eg. display Ford and BMW but NOT Toyota)

To go a step further: Suppose I have a sub-subcategory "Build year" for each model in addition. Something like:

* Ford -> (Mustang; Ka; Focus; Fiesta)

* BMW -> (Mini)

* Toyota -> () # Where Toyotas model list is still empty

and

** Mustang -> (1978, 1980)

** Ka -> (2004)

** Focus -> (2005; 2006)

** Fiesta -> (2001)

** Mini -> () # Where there is no build year defined for the Mini

Can I pass the information about the missing build year record upwards to my conditional value list in my car brand field? (Reasoning: If I don't have a build year for the Mini I can't define it correctly and if I can't define my Mini then I don't need to display BMW because the Mini is the only model available in the list).

To put it differently:

I can create a conditional value list for my model field. When I select Ford as a brand, my model drop-down menu will only display ford models.

But now I want to exclude all those models from the drop-down menu which are not related to any Build year dataset. So I need to combine two informations from an up-stream and a down-stream table at the same time.

Note: I do know how to create a "normal" conditional value list where I will only display Ford models in the model field if I select Ford as a brand and so on. What I can't find out is if such a complex calculation as described above is possible.

Thanks a lot

Ben