3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 5:43 PM by sgbotsford

Conditional Value Lists

CodyRomphf

Title

Conditional Value Lists

Hi,

I am trying to make a 5 tier conditional value list. So when I select a specific option on the first pop up menu the second pop up menu now shows the value list that only pertains to the first value. This will then continue down all 5 stages. 

I have followed this very useful tutorial (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/~/creating-conditional-value-lists) and it works perfectly for 2 stages / pop up menus. My issue is when I go to add the 3rd pop up menu. Instead of filtering based on the 2nd pop up menu it filters using the very first pop up. 

To make this more clear here is the list of my 3 Pop up Menu's:

Heading: (First Pop up)

- Abiotic (if Chosen filters to its subheading below)

Subheading 1: (Second Pop up)

- Climate Change

Subheading 2: (Third Pop up)

- N/A

- Ice

- Increase

- Decrease

- Biotic (if Chosen filters to its subheading below)

- Humans

- Hunting

- Loss of territory

- Prey

- Populations decreased

- Moved to another region

I hope this helps explain the situation better. I apologize if this is now too much information to show. But I figured its better to articulate exactly what I am doing. Ultimately its purpose is to act like a cascading menu. However I have been unable to figure out how to make a cascading menu.

If you need any clarity or have any questions please post them and I will respond as soon as I can! Thanks in advance for your help guys. =)

Cody

• 1. Re: Conditional Value Lists
          philmodjunk

A cascading menu isn't possible in FileMaker, but the hierarchical conditional value lists you describe are possible.

Here is a link on hierarchical conditional value lists that may help you out:

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if this link isn't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Conditional Value Lists
            CodyRomphf

Thank you very much! Took me a little while to figure it out but it works great now. You are the best!

• 3. Re: Conditional Value Lists
              sgbotsford

Not an answer.  Further question and pointer to answerers/

It's not clear if the self relationships are a chain, or if they are all related to the first occurence.

E.g.  A --A 2-- A3 -- A4

or

A--A2

\---A3

\---A4

If you are including relationships in an answer either include a screen shot of the relationships, or a link to a standard nomenclature field for how they are expressed non-graphically; AND include the table name consistently.