2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 11:17 AM by JohnTennock

Conditional Value Lists

JohnTennock

Title

Conditional Value Lists

Hi from a newbie, coming back to Filemaker Pro after a very long time.

Boy, it sure has come a long way. Very impressed!

I have a simple health services database project for which I have almost completed the design except for one key issue: How to make the value list for one field conditional on the value of another field?

Example 1.
           The value list for 'Region' depends on the content of the 'State' field. If the 'State' field is NSW the 'Region' value list would be:
           Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Central Tablelands, Central West, Far South Coast, Far West, The Hunter (Newcastle), Illawarra (Wollongong), New England (north-west), etc..

If the 'State' field is QLD the 'Region' value list would be:
           Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, West Moreton, Wide Bay-Burnett, etc..

and so on for all states (ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA).

Example 2.
           I have a similar requirement for categories and sub-categories which might go to three or four levels.
           For example: Details of individual service providers for category Children within category Psychiatrists within category Medical.

I am experienced with IT and databases but NOT a programmer and would appreciate advice on the best approach to this in FMP12.  I'm currently going through the learning curve in the free trial version in preparation for putting the case to purchase.