1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 1:37 PM by philmodjunk

Conditional Value Lists

sgbotsford

Title

Conditional Value Lists

I have just spent some time with Phil Caulkins "Conditional Value List Demo" and I'm still far from enlightenment.

I have also spend some time with the order/item example on FM's support section.

I can reproduce the Order/Menu example.

Now I'm trying to apply that lesson.

In the O/M example, the structure of the two tables was identical.  Each table had fields of Type and Item.

In setting up, a relationship was established between the two Type fields.

Then the Order::Type field was set to be a drop down box, with values chosen from Menu::Type

That works.

Now I create a table Names with fields

Code

Class

Genus

Species

Cultivar

Add a bunch of records to Names

Create another table, "Name" with the identical structure to names, but with no data in it.

Create a relationship between Name::Class and Names::Class

Open the default Layout for Name.

Select the Class field, set it to be a Popup box, taking it's values from Names::Class

THIS one doesn't work. Name::Class shows up with the little arrow as a dropdown box.  But only has a single row with a single question

Comparing the setup of the Order/Menu setup to the Name/Names setup, I can't find what I've done differently.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7a-6Eh7gpPSNDhjZ2szb3d0TDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Hints?

• 1. Re: Conditional Value Lists
          philmodjunk

You need to select a value in Field 1 before a value list in field 2 can be a conditional value list of values where the value selected in field 1 "filters" the values listed in Field 2. You seem to be trying to use one field in place of these 2 fields.

If Class is to be your "filter" field, then Class should be set up with a nonconditional value list of values from Names::Class. Some other field, such as Genus would then be set up with a conditional value list of Genus names limited by the specific class selected.