AnsweredAssumed Answered

conditional value lists do not work

Question asked by kirvis on Dec 1, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 by kirvis

Title

conditional value lists do not work

Hi all,

I have a short question about a problem I have with the use of conditional value lists.

I have a database with products, and those products can be divided into categories, sub categories, and sub-sub categories. What I would like to be able to do is create a layout where I can add new products, after first selecting the category, then the sub category, and then the sub-sub category. The problem is that eventually the list with sub-sub categories will be huge, so it would be nice to have a conditional value list based on the other tables.

I however do not seem to be able to make it work and I can not figure out what I am doing wrong. I made a functional conditional value list based on the instructions in the FM help section, but this one does not work.

The fields I have in the different tables are the following:

table: categories

•  ID
  • category name

table: sub categories 
  •  ID
  • sub category name
  • categoryIDfk

table: sub-sub categories
  •  ID
  • sub-sub category name
  • sub categoryIDfk

table: products
  • ID
  • product name
  • sub-sub categoryIDfk

I have defined three value lists based on the ID's and the second field (name). For the value list "sub categories", I have selected "Include only related values starting from product categories". 

When I want to select a product category when I want to add a new product, FM does not let me. It says: "This field can not be modified until "sub_sub_categoryIDfk" is given a valid value". It also does not display the conditional value list for the sub categories and sub-sub categories.

I have placed the file on my MobileMe account, since I think that that will make things much clearer. You can find it here.

I hope that someone can lay his or her finger behind the mistake I am currently making, because being able to use conditional value lists would make working with the database much easier. 

Outcomes