3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 8:54 AM by philmodjunk

Conditional Value Lists using Repeating Fields

Putmaniac

Title

Conditional Value Lists using Repeating Fields

Hi There:

I have developed conditional value fields in the past, and have been able to eventually make them work.  Now, I'm working with repeating fields and there's a problem I can't seem to work out...

I am developing a budget package... Staff are listed in departments (DEPT Code) and Job Description (JOB Code).  Each staff therefore has a DEPTJOB concatenated code assigned to them.  In a related table, I have assigned the Department Code and Job Description code.  I want the User to be able to select only those individuals that correspond to the concatenated DEPTJOB code, through a conditional value list.

Problem is, the DEPTJOB code field is a repeating field.  The resulting drop down field includes all individuals from all DEPTJOB combinations for that record...

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Conditional Value Lists using Repeating Fields
          philmodjunk

That's a built in "feature" of repeating fields.

If you have a relationship like:

Table1::RepeatingField = Table2::Field

You will get a match against every value in a repetition in the repeating field. (Math value in repetition 1 OR repetition 2 OR Repetition 3...)

The only way I know to avoid this is to split up your repeating field into separate fields or, even better, separate records in a related table.

I suppose you could make a calculation field for each repetition:

GetRepetition(repeatingField; 1)

GetRepetition(repeatingField; 2)

and so forth and then create separate relationships and conditional value lists based on each individual calculation field, but that's going to get really, really ugly.

• 2. Re: Conditional Value Lists using Repeating Fields
            Putmaniac

Thanks, PhiModJunk.  I guess I'll have to break out each field and apply the conditional value list separately.

Cheers.

BPutman

• 3. Re: Conditional Value Lists using Repeating Fields
              philmodjunk
                 Repeating fields can often be replaced with a table of related records. In many many cases, this also simplifies your database design in a number of areas--not just getting your conditional value list to work.