4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2014 8:46 PM by philmodjunk

Conditionally rotate an object?

dinoapolito

Title

Conditionally rotate an object?

is it possible? I know I can rotate an object via the menu but I want to rotate an object based on the vale of a related text field..

I would also like to rotate the image in a container field based on the value of a related text field.

Ive searched these forums and from what ive read i fear the answer is no.

thanks

dino

• 1. Re: Conditionally rotate an object?
          GuyStevens

In Filemaker Pro 13 you can conditionally hide an object. 
               Maybe you can make two fields and set them to hide conditionally so that only the one that's rotated correctly shows up.

The hiding can be done with the object selected from the Inspector in the "Data" tab under the "Behaviour" section.

Could that be a solution?

• 2. Re: Conditionally rotate an object?
            philmodjunk

An adaptation of Guy Steven's method can be used to conditionally rotate an object in earlier versions by using an invisible tab control with different rotations of the object on each tab panel. A script using go to object can select a particular tab panel and then display that panel's rotation.

• 3. Re: Conditionally rotate an object?
              dinoapolito

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As it turns out the images in this project will be in the correct orientation so I don't have an immediate need.

I like Guy's suggestion and can probably use it elsewhere. But the problem is this solution will be given to several different people many of whom are on older versions. I assume if I so something in FM13 it will not work in earlier versions?

• 4. Re: Conditionally rotate an object?
                philmodjunk

I assume if I so something in FM13 it will not work in earlier versions?

That is not the case. The "hide object when" feature is new to FileMaker 13. It will not work if the file is opened with FileMaker 12. And FileMaker 12 an 13 use a different file format than older versions so if the users have a version older than version 12, they will not even be able to open the file.