9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 12:27 PM by philmodjunk

Condo calander/grip availability

petek157

Title

Condo calander/grip availability

I am in the proccess of designing a reservation system for my condo complex.  My biggest challange is keeping the look of everything familar to all people that are involved in running the complex as they dont adapt well to change.  The part that I need help with is designing an availability grid similar to this

The unit number going across the top, the date going along the left side then the guest name and number of people highlighting the dates that the guests are staying.  The format of the name and number of people dont have to be exactly like this but would be nice.

If any one has some thoughts about this i would appreciate the guidence.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

• 1. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
          philmodjunk

Use a series of portals to get your columns of units on your screen. Your reference to a "calendar" reminded me of this demo file: http://www.4shared.com/file/6UAOV_RZ/Calendar.html

I'm not suggesting that you use it as your calendar, but that you examine the way the dates in this calendar are presented in a typical grid format with one row for each week and one column for each day of the week.

• 2. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
            petek157

Thanks Phil,

I am using your example as a guide and making good headway.  I have hit a block though.  Possibly just working on it a bit too long today.  My block is I am using a very slightly modified version of your creatmonth script to create the grid.  When I run the program it creates the proper amount of records in list view but none of the dates are visable.  But if I switch to form view rather then list view it shows the dates perfectly and as I click through the records it goes up perfectly.  But in List view I dont see anything.  The records are there just not visable.

Im assuming this is something stupid simple and I am just not seeing it.  Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Pete

• 3. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
              philmodjunk

Other than the obvious note that something isn't right with your layout, no....

You'll need to look carefully at the design of your layout and it's underlying relationships to figure out why this is the case.

When you say you cannot see the dates, what CAN you see? Do you see empty portals or a blank screen?

One common gotcha is accidentally getting layout objects a pixe too high so that they "touch" the boundary between header and footer. This can make the object disappear when you are in list view.

• 4. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                petek157

See I knew it was too easy....Sun of a.... (Chris Farley)

As usual, Thanks Phil

Pete

• 5. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                  petek157

OK calander grid seems to be working.  I have been able to get the last name of the reservation to populate the arrival date on the grid.  In this example the arrival date is 1/20/2012 and the departure date is 1/22/2012

What I am trying to is get all of the dates that this reservation includes to be populated by the last name. So the portal in column/unit 1 and date 1/21/2012 should have Koruga in it too.  Once again it may be that I am just looking too hard.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

PS ingnore the layout, the function is more important to me at the moment then the looks.

• 6. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                    philmodjunk

Does this mean that you have two date fields in your reservation record?

If so you can set up a portal filter expression with inequalities to show related records where the date in the parent record falls within the date range.

LayoutTable::Date > Reservation::Date1 AND LayoutTable::Date < Reservation::Date2

• 7. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                      petek157

Yes, I have an arrival date and a departure date in the reservation record.

Right now my portal is filtered by the unit number.  The date is the key field between the reservation and day tables controlling which record is seen.

Im not sure that I can filter the portal the way that you suggest given the setup of my tables and relationships.

If I am mistaken let me know or if given this additional information you can see a different way please let me know.

Thanks,

Pete

• 8. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                        philmodjunk

Try:

DayTable::Date > Reservation::ArrivalDate AND DayTable::Date < Reservation::DepartureDate AND Reservation::UnitNumber = YourTable::gUnitNumber

Don't know how you are specifying Unit number. This could be a field with global storage like I am assuming here or a field in a global variable.

• 9. Re: Condo calander/grip availability
                          philmodjunk

Note: checking reservation date ranges for availability is a concept I've kicked around with other forum posters before. The checks for overlapping date ranges to see if a new reservation will collide with existing reservations are not simple. You may want to enter "Reservation" into the search the forum box to see what you pull up if you are interested in digging deeper.