5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 10:41 AM by philmodjunk

Configuring Charts?

ChrisJohnston

Title

Configuring Charts?

I have a portal in solution that displays progress. This portal lets a user choose a level for a particular area of the current record. The typical breakdown of these areas are Concepts, ExFiles, Homework, Tasks, and Topics. I have represented this in a chart as well, see here. My question is how can create this chart so it is a cumulative representation of the areas in the record? So instead of listing each thing it shows the progress of all Concepts, ExFiles, Homework, Tasks, and Topics in one bar. I represent what I want to accomplish in a fictional pic. Do have to setup my own calculations to do this, or can charting be configured to categorize these areas and calculate everything?

My second question is can a chart with a variable number of bars be configured to keep a consistent size when displaying them. I don’t need this here because I want five categories. When I was making the chart that itemized every individual thing, its inconsistent width for two as opposed to five bars make the solution funny when moving from record to record. I realize that it has to scale to fit what needs, but I there any way to set a maximum and minimum set of bars and keep them the same size? Or any other way?

• 1. Re: Configuring Charts?
          philmodjunk

BTW, it's possible to use the Upload an Image controls below Post a new Answer that will put your image with your comment text so that uses don't have to click a link to see them.

It's possible to get the chart that you want, but the data model on which you base the model will be critical to the success of that approach. Assuming that each row of data in the data table shown is a different record in a portal, you can set up such a chart on a layout based on the portal's table and then you can sort to group records by type of task and a summary field can compute a value to chart on the Y-Axis.

I don't think FileMaker charts can keep to a set bar width in current versions of this product.

• 2. Re: Configuring Charts?
            ChrisJohnston

Yes every row is its own record. These summary fields have to be fields in my table or is there something to summarize with in charting?

• 3. Re: Configuring Charts?
              ChrisJohnston

BTW, it's possible to use the Upload an Image controls below Post a new Answer that will put your image with your comment text so that uses don't have to click a link to see them.

For some reason when I upload large pictures this forum does something strange, also the spell check never works

• 4. Re: Configuring Charts?
                philmodjunk

From the info next to the upload an image controls:

Images larger than 1280x1024 will be resampled

In your case, you could have uploaded each image separately, each to a different post in this thread.

Spell check works for me if I click the spell check button in the tool bar. It's never worked if you right click an underlined word... (only recently have misspelled words appeared with the MS Word style red underline.)

• 5. Re: Configuring Charts?
                  philmodjunk

These summary fields have to be fields in my table or is there something to summarize with in charting?

Yes, you would define a summary field in the table of records that you show. One summary field can be used for the same value over multiple groups of data if you set up your data source options for summarized data, sort your records and base the layout on this table of related data.