2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 8:18 AM by MichaelGermann

Confused on how to password protect FileMaker Pro v13 file

MichaelGermann

Title

Confused on how to password protect FileMaker Pro v13 file

I've recently upgraded my FMP from v8.0 to v13.  I built a new db by trying to drag & drop a .numbers file into FMP and it didn't work so I exported it as a .xlsx file from Numbers and got it into a .fmp12

Now I'd like to Password protect that simple database.  I'm simply wanting to put a password on that sole file.  Since I'm new, the permissions and rights and administrator, etc is confusing.  How do I lock up that self contained little file so only I can open it and search the contents for data.  I share that file across all my Mac devices, iMac, MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone via Dropbox.

Would appreciate a couple pointers.

Thanks,

germannator

first poster

• 1. Re: Confused on how to password protect FileMaker Pro v13 file
          philmodjunk

The basics for FMP 8 and FMP 13 are the same when it comes to password protecting a file. The following just limits access by setting a "full access" password so that only you can access the file. The first step is optional, but makes it a bit easier to log in when you first open the file:

Go to Privileges and note the the user name specified for your FileMaker Pro install. If you set up an account with exactly the same account name, FileMaker will enter the user name as the account name and you'll only need to enter the password that you specify.

Make a back up copy of your file so that you can be sure to open a current copy even if you make a mistake with the following steps and accidentally lock yourself out of your own file.

Open Manage | Security.

Click New

enter the user name as your account name. (Or you can enter any unique account name that you want.)

enter a password (This is case sensitive so consider how you will capitalize parts of your password.)

Select [Full access] as your privilege set

Click OK

Unless you have changed settings in File Options your file is set to automatically enter an account name of "admin" and no password when the file opens. To get FileMaker to pop up the log in dialog, disable the admin account by clearing that check box here in manage security.

Click OK

and Enter your new account name and password when asked to do so.

When you close and re-open this file or use the re-login script step, you should now see a dialog that automatically opens where you must enter your new account name and password to open the file.

Since you have multiple devices opening this file, you may or may not have the same user name specified on each. On machines where a different user name is specified, you'll need to clear the user name that appears as the default account name and enter both account name and password to open the file.

• 2. Re: Confused on how to password protect FileMaker Pro v13 file
            MichaelGermann

PhilModJunk,

That worked great, thanks for all your help!

germanntor