1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 5:26 AM by Rajkumar

connecting fields..

MJWebster

Title

connecting fields..

Hello, 

I have a database with various fields in it... 

One of the fields has town/city, the next one has county/state and the final one has country. All these fields are drop down lists with edit.

What I would like to do is to 'conect' some of these fields up.. What am I talking about?

If I enter in the City field 'Johannesburg', I then have to enter, in the next field 'Cape' and then in the final field I enter 'South Africa'..

If there a way to 'tell' filemaker that if I click on 'Johannesburg' it knows to auto enter ' Cape' in the next field and 'South Africa' in the final field?

I am using Filemaker 11Pro on Mac OS 10.6.5

Thanks for any help that you can give me..

Malcolm 

• 1. Re: connecting fields..
          Rajkumar

Hi,

For this u need a create a table in ur database, which consists of city, state and corresponding country information. and now u will create another table, where u will create a city, state and a country field, and in the relationship graph, relate the city field of both the table. Now create a portal, in 2nd table, inserting the field state, and country. so if a city is added, then it'll take corresponding state and country from the related field.