3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

Connecting Records

David40

Title

Connecting Records

I am running FMP-9 on a iMac (running snow leopard).

I have a database of over 70,000 records.  Records are sorted by date and julian date.  I have created a layout when you insert a julian date and it gives you another date (for example, 1,000 days in the past).  I would like to tie records to the new date.  How do I do this?

For clarity, today (7/20/2011) is 2,455,763.  I want to have the program show what date it is 1,000 days in the past.  In this case, it would be 10/23/2008).

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Connecting Records
          philmodjunk

DateField - 1000 will return a date 1000 days earlier.

Get ( CurrentDate ) - 1000 will return a date 1000 days ago.

• 2. Re: Connecting Records
            David40

Thank you for your reply.  I can use the "current date" solution for another problem.

However, I have the "date field - 1000" working.  I need to connect to the record associated with the "date - 1000".

Once again, I apologize, my not have asked the question correctly.  I have a database of histroical events.  If I input today's date (julian date), I would like to see what event occurred 1000 days ago.  The "date - 1000" only brings up the new julian date.  How do I connect it to the event?

Thank you again!  You have always been great help.

Dave

• 3. Re: Connecting Records
              philmodjunk

It depens on how you want to bring up that "past event" or events.

You can establish a relationship your julian date field and the "-1000" calculation field:

Table::JulianDate = Table 2::JulianLess1000

Then you can add fields from Table 2 to your your layout or use a portal to Table 2. (Table 2 can be a different table or a 2nd occurrence of the same table and this will work.)

You can also use that calculated value in a script to perform a find to bring up the records with this 1000 days ago date.