Connecting two databases located on an external server

precociousninja

Title

Connecting two databases located on an external server

Hello all,

I am using

- Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced

- Mac OS 10.5.8

I have two databases on an external server (that I have access to) and I am trying to connect the two databases. 

I want to be able to have a value set list that automatically changes when we add tour dates for the bands on our label.  The tour dates are changing regularly (being added) and I want them to automatically be added to a field that lists all the possible shows in a different database where we document all the press they receive about their shows.  That second database has the drop down menu with the value set as referenced before.

I have tried to use the file ->manage->external data sources dialog, but the file path examples given all seem to be for files on the local host.

The path I use to access my files on the database when I "Open Remote" is an IP looking something like this "197.163.233.190" (that's not the IP, I was just giving an example).  Then it shows all the databases which have one word names like "tour" Anyhow, what should the file path connection look like if I use this function? Is this the correct function to use?

We are not using any sort of instant web publishing.

I would consider myself between a beginner-intermediate level user of filemaker. 

Thanks in advance for the help,

pn