AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connection Speed For Remote Access

Question asked by Sorbsbuster on Jan 10, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 by davidanders

Title

Connection Speed For Remote Access

Maybe I'm just telling the world what everyone has already established, but:

We would have regularly accessed remote FM files (using Filemaker Client), usually with a pretty fast (by retail standards) internet connection both at the server and the remote client.  The experience has been oh-kay at best.  Very convenient to have it at all, but when you've been used to LAN speeds it can be very disappointing.

I have just been able to test remote connection into a file that I use commonly inside the customer's LAN, so I know its (perceived) LAN speed performance as a comparison.  The remote connection experience was almost as good.  To be honest it may even have been as good - if I hadn't already known that I was connected remotely I may not have noticed.

The 'server' end is actually FM Client version 11, the hardware a basic Lenovo Think Windows 7 workstation.  There were 9 other connected users (although I'm not suggesting they were all hitting it with heavy traffic).  Although the usual connections speeds would be maybe 20Mbps download / 1 Mbps upload at both ends, we have just changed the customer's connection to a 10Mbps/10Mbps link.  I was connected with 20Mbps / 1.8Mbps at this remote end.

I have to conclude, with some excitement and pending further tests, that the 10Mbps upload speed is the single contributor to transforming the user experience.

Outcomes