3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 1:55 PM by philmodjunk

Consolidating the results of a field with checkbox sets

DavidMenlow

Title

Consolidating the results of a field with checkbox sets

I have created a series of text fields with checkbox sets.  What I would like to do is consolidate the results of the 39 entires in these fields into another field that just displays the values for which I have entered a check.  Ideally, I would like it to display the results without spaces for the values that were not checked.  Example:  values are the 12 letters from A through L.  I have only checked off 3 of the letters, D, G and J.  I would like another box, preferrably in a repeating field, to display D, G and J in 3 separate consecutive repetitions in the new box, rather than D appearing in the 4th repetition, G in the 7th and J in the 10th, with all the other boxes being empty.  Can this be done?

• 1. Re: Consolidating the results of a field with checkbox sets
          philmodjunk

For a very simple version of this, make a copy of your check box group formatted field but formatted as an edit box and sized to be large enough to display all the values in your value list with each value on a different line.

You'll find that the field will list only the value selected so this could be sufficient to your needs, the one limitation is that the values selected will be listed in the order that their check box was clicked. Thus, one field may display A, B, C and another C, B, A simply because the user clicked the values in a different order.

If that is not something that works for you, I'd take a look at replacing the single checkbox group formatted field with a portal to a related table with one record for each related table. Since this portal can be sorted, the selected values will be shown in the same order on every record. Conditional formatting and scripts can be used so that one portal looks and functions just like a checkbox group for data entry and a report--using a portal with different formatting or based on the related table will produce the list of selected values that you've specified.

• 2. Re: Consolidating the results of a field with checkbox sets
            raybaudi

If I understood well, try this calculation:

Let(
            checked = List ( If ( cfield1 ; field1 ) ; If ( cfield2 ; field2 ) ; If ( cfield3 ; field3 ) ; ... ; If ( cfieldN ; fieldN ) ) ;
            Substitute ( checked ; ¶ ; " - " )
            )

The result will be, however, placed in a sinle line ( like: D - G - J )

Note that cfields are the checkboxes that ( I suppose ) you have near your fields and that have 1 as the single valuelist value.

"I have created a series of text fields with checkbox sets"

Are those repeating fields ?

• 3. Re: Consolidating the results of a field with checkbox sets
              philmodjunk

raybaudi, I understood the original poster to have more than one checkbox value per field. If so, you'll need to use a more sophisticated calculation here to determine if a given value was or was not selected.