13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 11:02 AM by TSGal

Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3

kerryd

Title

Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3

I haven't used my Filemaker in ages and honestly I rarely ever printed (can't remember the last time). However, I went to print a blank records input form as I want to use this for clients to tick off answers to questions and everytime I hit print, eventually the spinning wheel comes up and the program crashes. Once though, it started printing but printing all my records that were filled in and I didn't want it to do this.

Does anyone have any idea why print causes Filemaker to crash. I did see an article on print crashing under say 9.0.1 and supposedly an update would fix this. I've updated to the most current of Filemaker yet I get these crashes.

I actually know that when I had v7 running under Rosetta printing wasn't an issue as back then I was using Filemaker frequently and printing occasionally.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
          philmodjunk

Create a new simple database file and attempt to print from it.

If it prints without crashing, there may be something wrong with either the file or the layout you have up when you attempt to print.

If there is something wrong with your file, you can try recovering it. (If recovered file prints without crashing, replace your original file with an undamaged back up if at all possible.)

• 2. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
            kerryd
               I created a simple DB with just one field and entered two records - test. The print dialogue came up, then the spinning wheel and it crashed. Weird.
            • 3. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
              philmodjunk
                 Do you have a different printer you can try to print from?
              • 4. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                kerryd
                   No. Its pretty well a brand new Laserjet. I've never had a problem printing anything except this. Oddly, it did print one time and was printing everything so I stopped it as I really just wanted to print one record. After that though, no matter what view I'm in it just won't print without crashing.
                • 5. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                  TSGal

kerryd:

There was a print problem reported with HP Laserjet P1006 and P1505n printers.  The symptom was that it printed fine the first time, but subsequent printing would crash.  The workaround is to not use the mouse when the print dialog box appears.  Instead, use the tab key to move between options.  Once you move the mouse, it will fail to print.

This has been fixed in FileMaker Pro 10.0v2.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                    kerryd

That was it. I have a 1505n. As long as I don't use the mouse it works fine. I do though seem to lack a bit of control using the tab key in that I can't seem to choose PDF. I often print things to SOHO Notes for storage there. I don't think I'll have to do it with this though. Although v10 sounds nice, I just don't need it as I'm not using Filemaker and the app that I want to employ is already built in v9. Now that I know how to get around this print issue its just an annoyance and nothing more. 

I  have an application need that Filemaker will fill so I'll probably be using it a bit over the next while. In this quest, I did find out that Bento would fill this need. I have overkill with Filemaker but have used it since the early 90's.

Thanks 

• 7. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                      madisonsolar

We have 9.0.3 running on a minimac OS 10.5.8 (just upgraded).  The printer is an HP Officejet 7300 series.  FileMaker crashes when when we even initiate the print function.  Is there a resolution to this aside from upgrading?  This just started happening in the last month or two.  As part of the latest updates on the machine (this morning) the print drivers were updated, which did nothing.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                        kerryd
                           Once I stopped using the mouse when I went to print but rather just used the tab and return keys it would print fine. There is a bug in v9 but not in 10.2 that causes this. I have no reason though to upgrade.
                        • 9. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                          TSGal

madisonSolar:

Thank you for your post.

If this "just started happening the last month or two", you will need to find out what changed.

First, using FileMaker Pro 9.0v3, create a new database file with one field and one record.  Pull down the File menu and select "Print".  Does FileMaker crash?  If so, then I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 and try again.  If the newly created file does not crash, then your original file may be corrupt.  You can try running "Recover" (from the File menu) on the file, open the recovered file and try printing again.  However, the "Recover" command is not a total cure.  FileMaker will attempt to fix the file.  The best solution would be to return to a prior backup that was working properly and input the data from the recovered file.

Please keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                            kerryd
                               I'm pretty sure I found this info out on not using the Mouse from Filemaker related to the HP Printer p1505n and one other specifically.
                            • 11. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                              TSGal

kerryd:

The other printer was the HP P1006 with this specific problem of using the mouse.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                                appleclub

I'm following this thread regarding the crashes while printing on certain HP LaserJet printers.

If there is a bug in using 9.03, when will the update/fix be provided?

Upgrading to FM v 10.0.2 is not an option unless Filemaker Inc is willing to refund the original license purchases towards purchasing vers 10. upgrades. 

• 13. Re: Constant print crashes with Filemaker 9.0.3
                                  TSGal

appleclub:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, Hewlett-Packard introduced a new printer and printer driver during FileMaker Pro 9 timeframe that conflicted with FileMaker Pro 9.  It would allow you to print the first document fine, but subsequent printings, if you used the mouse key or moved the mouse key over the printer dialog box, FileMaker Pro 9 would crash.  The workaround is to use the keyboard and tab between the different options.  This was changed in FileMaker Pro 10 so you can use the mouse again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.