4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 3:17 PM by philmodjunk

Constituent historical contribution history export

JoshuaLeach

Title

Constituent historical contribution history export

I am working for an organization that transitioned from FileMaker to an alternate database about a year ago.  We would like to migrate all contribution history for each constituent record between 2007 - present.  The vendor for the database was able to migrate all of the consituent records from Filemaker to the new database, but the records only included one line (one contribution; whatever the last gift prior to the migration was) of giving.  I have been assigned the task of finding the fix get migrate the additional contribution history data for each constiuent record in a time effective manner.  I have run several 'test' exports from FileMaker, but still only end up with 1 line of donor contribution history for each constituent.  Is there a way to transition a range of donor contributions per constituent to an export file? Also, is there a feature to include column headers in an export document?  Any guidance or advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Constituent historical contribution history export
          philmodjunk

And how is the FileMaker database structured?

It sounds like you have one table for donors and one table for donations and that you are exporting data from the donors table with related data from the donations table, but that's just a guess. There could be any number of tables and you would need to export the data from each table that holds needed data separately.

The Merge file export option will include field names as column headers.

• 2. Re: Constituent historical contribution history export
            JoshuaLeach

I've included a screenshot of a record in addition to how I set up the export rules.  All of the contributions related information is included in the options for Contributions_ID field option in the export instructions.

I was not with the organization when they were using FileMaker, nor am I familiar with the database structure and how/where information is stored.

• 3. Re: Constituent historical contribution history export
              GuyStevens

Could you do us a favor and go to "File" - "Manage" - "Database" and take some screenshots there? Especially from the third tab "Relationships".

Would be nice.

If your structure is like phil said. One Contacts table and one Contributions table and you export form the Contacts table you will get every contact once, and you can get one record from the Contribution table in there as well.

But if you export from the Contributions table you will get every single contribution but you will get your contact information multiple times. Every contacts full information will be given for every contribution they made.

I think in your case this is probably the best way to go. But we need to be sure of your structure first.

• 4. Re: Constituent historical contribution history export
                philmodjunk

The portal shown would appear to support the guess that there are at least two related tables involved.