6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 3:10 PM by cmjones

Constraining Found Set Issue

cmjones

Title

Constraining Found Set Issue

OK, so, we have built an interactive mock exam database for our customers and I'm working on developing a custom search feature so that they can locate specific records. Then I allow them to narrow their search by constraining the found set with another search. All this is no problem.

I don't want them to view the layout in Find Mode, so I have Set Error Capture (On) so that they can't click Modify Find if their search returns no results, thereby placing them in Find Mode, which screws up the user interface, i.e., some images aren't displayed in Find Mode because of certain requirements I don't need to go into here. If their search returns no results, I have a message pop up telling them this and then the screen returns to Browse Mode in the proper layout.

The problem is: since there are 0 records found, there are no records to display in Browse Mode unless I add a Show All Records step in my script, which I don't want because the idea is to constrain the current found set, not start all over again.

Is there a way to revert to the previous found set if the constrain command returns 0? Let me know if anyone needs to see my script.

Thank you! 

• 1. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
          klawiter

Here is an article that deals with your exact need:

"Save FileMaker Pro Found Sets Using Table Occurrences" 

http://my.advisor.com/doc/18698

• 2. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
            jsalzer_1
               Wow!  Each table occurrence maintains its own found set.  I would never have run into that useful tidbit of information on my own.  Thanks for the link!
            • 3. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
              cmjones
                 Great, thanks for the link! I'll have to play around with this and see if my amateur self can get it to work.
              • 4. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
                cmjones

OK, so I'm having some trouble with this.

If I'm understanding correctly, first I copy the table that I'm using, then I create a new table based off of that, which includes copies of all the fields from the original table. Since I have an existing database I don't need to create the initial table and layout for that table since I already have them, correct? Then I'm suppose to create a new layout and set the "Show records from:" in the Layout Setup to the new table? When the author of that article says "Create a second table occurrence based on the same table and call it DATA_FOUNDSET and add a layout based on this table occurrence," I assume he's talking about this?

Then in the Go To Related Record script step it says to set the first drop down menu item to the original table occurence. Then it says to select the layout to show the records as the layout for the new table occurence, but since that layout is set to show records from the new table and not the original, it isn't given as an option for the layout you can choose here, there are only layouts displayed here from the original table.

What is it that I'm not understanding correctly or doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
                  Jens Teich
                     > If I'm understanding correctly, first I copy the table that I'm using, then I create a new table based off of that, which includes copies of all the fields from the original table.

No you don't create a new table but a new table occurrence. This means adding a new box into the relationship graph. The two table occurrences are based on the same table.

Jens

• 6. Re: Constraining Found Set Issue
                    cmjones
                       Thank you! That did the trick. Forgive the amateur/novice! Works perfectly now.