5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 1:29 PM by philmodjunk

constraint issue

GeorgeWilliams

Title

constraint issue

I have a database with two fields that have a contraint on them that will not allow anybody to edit the fields.

The layout mode is also disabled in this database.

How do I enable the layout mode, and how do I get past the constraints to edit the field.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: constraint issue
          philmodjunk

You need to be able to open the file with a full access password so that you can enter layout mode. The constraint may be set in Manage | Security as that is also a way to disallow edits on a given record or table.

You also won't be able to enter layout mode if this is a Runtime solution.

• 2. Re: constraint issue
            GeorgeWilliams

I'm new to Filemaker Pro, so please bear with me.

It doesn't ask me for a password when I open it, nor do I see a way to enter admin mode.

I'm opening the file with FP 11 development.

How do I know if it is a runtime solution, and if it is, how do I open it with the full version?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: constraint issue
              philmodjunk

Your file may enter a password for you when you open the file. If you hold down the shift key (windows) or Option key ( Mac) while the file opens. This File Option can be disabled and the system will ask you for a password.

To see if it's a runtime solution, see what "about" info is available when you pull down the help menu.

• 4. Re: constraint issue
                GeorgeWilliams

Thanks, I'm able to go to Layout Mode.

I checked Manage Security and the login I used has full access.

When I try to enter something into the field it give me a this field is not modifiable message.

Then I get the option to revert the record.

These are the only two fields in the table that I can't edit.

One field is a radio button, the other is a pull down list.

I've also used different layouts, but they don't allow me to edit either.

How do I get it to let me edit these fields?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: constraint issue
                  philmodjunk

Look up the fields in Manage | Database | Fields

Either they are fields of type calculation or the "Prohibit modification" field option was selected for them.