3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 2:21 PM by philmodjunk

Contact List Help!

arthurharmon

Title

Contact List Help!

I'm trying to create a master contact list for our entrepreneurship center. I'd like it to have the capability to search for only students, entrepreneurs, mentors, mentees, staff, etc.. I have the master layout set up, but can't figure out how to associate radio button sets with lists. ex. Current student? (yes)(no) radio button set, if yes. How do I get that contact to show up to a student list?

*attached is a screenshot of my "all contacts" layout, where each contacts profile will be developed.

printscreen.jpg

• 1. Re: Contact List Help!
          philmodjunk

The following can be done manually or with a script:

Enter find mode.

Select "Yes" for current student

Perform the find

Your found set now consists of all records where "yes" is the current value in the current student field.

If you switch to table view or change layouts to a list view layout based on the same table, you'll be able to see all of these records in a list format.

But if by "list" you mean a value list of only those contacts that are students, let me know as that would be done differently.

Here's a thread of scripted find examples: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Contact List Help!
            arthurharmon

Thaks for the reply, PhilModJunk.

I would like it to be a value list only of contacts that are students.

thanks again.

• 3. Re: Contact List Help!
              philmodjunk

Then what you describe is a conditional value list. Here are some links on the subject:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.