1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 3:50 PM by philmodjunk

contact management question - Mac Contacts, CardScan and GMail (new user)?

JonathanChertok

Title

contact management question - Mac Contacts, CardScan and GMail (new user)?

hi all. greetings.

i am a prospective new user of filemaker after havng completed a move to mac os from windows os for a small design and construction firm. this convertion has taken the better part of two years and i am now looking seriously at filemaker for the next steps.

is this the correct place to ask about contact management?

i find myself in a situation where i am managing my personal contacts in mac mail and i have my business contacts in a CardScan (.cdb) database. cardscan lets me scan business cards and exists as a database on one of my computers.

Mac Contacts on the other hand will sync via iCloud. Mac Contacts is OK but i am not really pleased with the Previous Recipients (email addresses) functionality or lack of syncing/migration.

in any event, i would really like to find a way to get /all/ my contacts to all my devices in a way that does not require a constant exporting and importing of files? i am envisioning something that i can see on my iphone, laptop, desktop and - not sure if i need this but - sync with Google Contacts.

thanks in advance for any help and apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

- jon

• 1. Re: contact management question - Mac Contacts, CardScan and GMail (new user)?
          philmodjunk

With FileMaker Pro on your Computer and FM GO on your iPhone, you can certainly set up a contact manager and either your iPhone can access your database on your computer as a client, you can copy the entire database back and forth between computer and iPhone or there are "Synch" tools you can purchase that also enable data synchronization between iPhone and Computer.

What I cannot tell you is whether all the speciaized functions that you may have and need from CardScan can be replicated in FileMaker.