5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 3:04 PM by philmodjunk

Contact Management with Tickler System

UltimaGTR

Title

Contact Management with Tickler System

Currently a Bento 4 user, considering an upgrade to FM Pro to manage contacts. The FM template looks great but I can't find where it contains a tickler system to remind me to make contact with someone in the future. Would it be easy to add this or is there a FM Template Exchange similar to Bento that already has this done?

Thanks,

Paul 

• 1. Re: Contact Management with Tickler System
          philmodjunk

You'd have to add some scripts, fields and tables to set up a reminder system. The table would log your reminder info (who and when) and your script would use that data to remind you of what you need to do in the near future. This script could check for reminders each time you open the file, when you access a specific layout, and/or on a regular interval.

That's what fileMaker can do. The real issue is whether you have the skills to do this or are willing to spend the time acquiring the skills to do it.

• 2. Re: Contact Management with Tickler System
            UltimaGTR

Thank you Phil. Are you suggesting these additions to the Contact Management template would be difficult to add? What are my options to get this done? 1) learn it and do it myself, 2) existing templates, 3) ?

Thanks,

Paul

• 3. Re: Contact Management with Tickler System
              philmodjunk

I'm suggesting that they may be difficult for you. I don't know what skills/experience you already have with database design. If you've worked with other database systems, this may not be too difficult to do. If you are brand new to the subject, you'll need to be prepared to invest some time in learning how to develop databases in FileMaker. There are books, tutorials, videos etc. that you can use to learn more.

We'll be glad to help you all we can from here, but acquiring some basic Filemaker skills on your part will make it easier for us to to provide that help.

• 4. Re: Contact Management with Tickler System
                UltimaGTR

I'm not brand new but I'm certainly not an expert. What would you recommend I read to prepare me for the task?

• 5. Re: Contact Management with Tickler System
                  philmodjunk

I can't answer that question for you. There are a number of titles available. If you want, you can research the titles on a site like Amazon where you can check out the reader reviews to see which might be the best "fit" for you.