2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 10:24 AM by LisaL

contact names not showing on list in Registration Database

LisaL

Title

contact names not showing on list in Registration Database

Hi, I used the Registration Template to create my database.  I've noticed that, in the Events section, when I click on "New Registration," it does something weird.  I can choose from all of my contacts to register as many or few people as I want for an event, which is great.  But after I've chosen people, the only ones whose names and emails are VISIBLE on the Registrations list are the ones for whom I originally created New Records by inputting the info myself. But contacts who were originally IMPORTED from an Excel file don't have VISIBLE names on the Registrations list for the event for which I've registered them.  They HAVE been added to the list, which is clear b/c there's an "Attended" checkbox and a red "X" on the otherwise empty lines for those contacts--but their names are not visible.

Interestingly, in Contacts, if I DUPLICATE the record for someone who was imported from an Excel file, and then go into Events and click on "New Registration" and choose the DUPLICATE record, the name is VISIBLE on the Registrations list!  

???

Help, please!

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: contact names not showing on list in Registration Database
          philmodjunk

This is an undocumented "gotcha" that has tripped up users with several of the starter solutions. Your template requires each contact record to have a unique serial number (probably in a field called ContactID). When you import contacts from Excel, this field is left blank unless you also enable auto-enter operations during the import. (There's a check box for this in a dialog that pops up just before the import starts.)

If you duplicate a record, the duplicated record get's a serial number in this field auto-matically--which is why the duplicated record works.

Simplest fix is to start over with an empty copy of your current file and re-import the contacts from your excel file, but now with this option enable.

If you have lot of contact records that you've created since the import, you might also find this field, place it on a contacts layout, Perform a find to find all records where the field is empty (Put a lone = operator in the field while in find mode), and then use Replace Field Contents with the serial numbers option to give them all a serial number.

• 2. Re: contact names not showing on list in Registration Database
            LisaL

Oh my, THANK YOU SO MUCH for this explanation and for replying SO SWIFTLY!!!!  You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Laughing  I am so grateful.