1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 11:01 PM by philmodjunk

Contact table design

LuisHernandez

Title

Contact table design

1. FMP Version: 12
      3. Operating System: Windows 7
      5. I am designing the relationships for a database to manage contacts. Students are the primary contacts, but each student has a number of related contacts (local contact, foreign contact, authorized contact). Both students and contacts have contact information. For example,      

1. Student: FirstName, LastName, email, phone, address, city, state, zip, etc.
        3. Contact: FirstName, LastName, email, phone, address, city, state, zip, etc.

7. My question is, “what type of relationship should I have for these entities?”      

1. I have no need to send mass emails or post to any of these individuals.

9. Should I:      

1. Put all of the information on one table (Student information, contact1 information, contact2 information, contact3 information), or
        3. Separate the students and contacts: Student---<Contacts, or
        5. create a people table and connect both students and contacts to it           

1. students---<people>---contacts

• 1. Re: Contact table design
          philmodjunk

First, a. and b. can be two records in the same table. A self join or even a many to many self join can be used to establish the needed links between a student contact and other contacts. This enables you to link a given student to as many other contacts as is needed and with a "many to many self join", two students can link to the same contact--as might be the case with students that are siblings.

Contacts----<ContactJoin>-----Contacts 2

Contacts and Contacts 2 are two Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? with the same data source table.

Contacts::__pkContactID = ContactJoin::_fkContactID
          Contacts 2::__pkContactID = ContactJoin_fkLinkedContactID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained