8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 2:31 PM by philmodjunk

Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue

user28012

Title

Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue

I have upgraded to filemaker pro 13 and I have a repeating field that should slide up to eliminate blank space (worked in filemaker 11). However, when I go to print it causes a crash in the filemaker program.

I have found that by eliminating the container field(Flow) only eliminates the crash and the file can print.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
          philmodjunk

That shouldn't cause a crash. Have you tried recovering your file? A damaged file can cause a crash and your crashes can damage the file so I'd recover the file and try printing from the recovered copy even if the recover process does not report finding/fixing any issues.

If that doesn't resolve this try creating a brand new copy of this layout from scratch (don't copy/paste any layout objects from the current layout) and see if you can print from it. You might also test and see if Save As PDF also crashes your file.

And now I will observe that if you made each row of repetitions a separate record, you'd be able to get the same report much more easily as well as gain flexibility in a number of other areas.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
            user28012

Once, I hit the preview button it crashes so I cannot try to print to PDF

I also tried to recover from an older file and upgrade that file to FM 13 but no luck.

If I remove the print sliding feature everything works fine.

• 3. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
              philmodjunk

I did not suggest printing to PDF. I suggested Saving as PDF. That's an option in the File menu and does not require preview mode. I think it likely that Save As PDF will also crash the file, but it's worth a try.

Recover was suggested for two reasons: 1) it might have corrected the issue. 2) It can identify and correct damage that may have been caused by the crash. I would suggest that you also try using FileMaker 13 to recover your file as well as the older version.

And I also suggested that you try recreating this layout from scratch to see if that fixes the issue.

• 4. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
                user28012

I tried saving as PDF but that did not work.

I also tried to make a new layout with only the 4 sliding fields and no other info but that did not work.

In previous version of filemaker, no problem using this layout.

• 5. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
                  philmodjunk

In previous version of filemaker, no problem using this layout.

But this does not mean that your file is not damaged, only that if there is damage it didn't affect the behavior of your field until you upgraded to the new version.

Did you try recovering this file using FileMaker 13? (Long shot but a quick fix if it works...)

Try this experiment:

Create a brand new database file.

Define a repeating container field.

Insert some graphics into some repetitions of the field and not others.

Put it on a field and set it to slide up.

See if this new file also crashes. If it does, it means that there is an issue either with your computer or FileMaker and you may want to use Report an Issue to report this as a possible bug. Save your demo file in this case as you can send it in, if a TS person asks for it so that they can examine the file.

If this test file does not crash, it strongly suggests that your file is damaged even though recover is not detecting the issue.

• 6. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
                    user28012

I created a brand new database in filemaker 13 with the sliding fields but the same issue is occuring

• 7. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
                      philmodjunk

I just did a quick test in Windows 7 and am getting the same result--which I was not expecting or I would have tried this sooner. I will report this in Report an Issue as a bug unless you have already done so. I'll include a link to the demo file to speed the evaluation process.

As a work around--since there is no way to tell how long it will take to correct any given bug, I suggest that you use a related table with not repeating fields in place of what you have now. Import records has an option you can use that makes moving your data from a set of repeating fields into a set of non-repeating fields very easy to do. A list view layout, where the empty fields are omitted from the found set, could then be used to produce exactly the same output as you have shown in your layout. For data entry purposes, you'd use a portal to such a related table.

• 8. Re: Container Field (Repeating) sliding issue
                        philmodjunk

I found your bug report and see that they have already confirmed it.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.