AnsweredAssumed Answered

Container Field Advice

Question asked by BrandonCox on Mar 24, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 by BrandonCox

Title

Container Field Advice

Hi,

I am currently working on a database for a client who i work for(music artist). They have asked me to document all of there items , including images. The database will be acting as an archive of all there work, and we are expecting to take up to three years with three people working on it. So i cannot afford for things to go wrong, and lose all of our images.

I have a basic understanding of databases but nothing to complex, and to complicate things we are using a Mac which i am also unfamiliar with(but have no choice)

The database will have around :

30 Tables , 60 Layouts, 10 Container Fields Per Table.

And across all the tables i expect to have around 10k-20k Records. So it is a rather large database.

Currently we have organised files where the images are saved after scanning. Then we just drag and drop them into containers. To my knowledge , the images are only saved as a reference when drag and dropped, and i haven't set it up to be saved externally. But when i delete the file the image in filemaker is still there. How come? where are they been saved?

Ideally i would like to be able to have a box under each container field to display the path/location of the file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ,

Brandon

Outcomes